ASUS Launches new ROG themed SLI bridge

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS is introducing a new HB (high-bandwidth) SLI-bridge, the two connector version has received an aesthetic overhaul, the new design is matte black and fits the ASUS ROG theme a bit better....

ASUS Launches new ROG themed SLI bridge

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sadly SLI nowadays = useless.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    More toys to decorate benching machines.

4. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Haha; I liked this :)

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    why does Nvidia even insist on having a bridge for what looks like a dying technology?

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    But does it work for Half-Assed Console Ports... that is the question.

7. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I would be happy if some manufacturer would release HB tri and quad bridges. It's been proven that Pascal can be made to work in tri and quad. Right now there is no real upgrade path from my tri 980ti. Dual 1080 would just perform nearly identical, though power usage would go down.

SLI dying ? Rather NVidia trying to kill it off and developers unwilling/incapable to properly support DX12 multi GPU. Yet still no single card rig can even hope to drive triple 4K monitors even remotely acceptable. SLI is still needed on the absolute high end of the spectrum. And we are gurus here, right ?

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    I agree with this, SLI is being pushed away by Nvidia, and I also feel hardware (more so GPU's) can be better utilized, as in games/software better developed to use the hardware.

10. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Yep same for cf. It's just not worth paying for a second gpu with such limited support.

The last title with semi ok multi gpu support in dx12 was deus ex md. Even then the patch took ages to come out and most people had finished the game already. My second gpu was mostly a bench warmer (for 2 years) and only ever used for benchmarks :(

11. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    If SLI is dead in the water, then what is the point of this news? I had one tri set up but I've had SLI for years, as I do now, and leaving aside (if one can nowadays) the doubling of the graphics cards budget, SLI used to be a very effective way in playing games like Crysis at Very High Quality settings on my Dell U2711.

If anyone has some influence, surely it must be you, Hilbert? Can you persuade the game designers to provide for SLI?

12. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Is NVidia so profitable that they can't be bothered to ensure their SLI customers benefit from two graphics cards or are there so few SLI users that we are not worth their interest?

How much trouble is it for the game designers to provide for SLI use?

13. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    [SLI dying ? Rather NVidia trying to kill it off and developers unwilling/incapable to properly support DX12 multi GPU. Yet still no single card rig can even hope to drive triple 4K monitors even remotely acceptable. SLI is still needed on the absolute high end of the spectrum. And we are gurus here, right ?]

If it is not dying then it is being killed and aside legal matters, that is pretty much the same.
    I have been running SLI since 470GTX and I OK with that (currently have 2 980 Strix), but if I were to upgrade today, I would probably get a 1080ti because things are what they are.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I had 3 generations of SLI setups (2x580s, 2x680s, 2x970s) before switching to 1070 and not 1080 Ti. I honestly wouldn't recommend to anyone to go SLI now, it's not just nvidia "killing it off", but also more importantly developers who RARELY can be bothered these days to implement support for -decent- multi gpu scaling. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with AMD and xfire.

I was an early adopter of 1440p like 7 years ago, so I had to go 2xGPUs, but it was working for most of the time pretty good (especially in the games I was playing). So I can really understand the guys with 4K screens that want to max out their games, and it is indeed hard with current single GPU, especially in newer games. However, I would rather turn down some settings, or hold off of 4K before single GPU solutions catch up, then to spend cash on 2xGPUs and then struggle with them.

15. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Very helpful viewpoint, I bought my Dell U2711 about 7-8 years ago at some eye-watering cost (early adaptingitis) and have run SLI setups for a long time for the same reason as you.

I found SLI fun and more exciting than a single card setup and it's a real shame that NVidia & the game developers have given up supporting SLI.

I'll 'probably' upgrade to 4K GSynch & an upgraded 1080Ti later this year, the best gaming kit has always been expensive but this also applies to everything else. Quality of image is more important than FPS for my gaming, the wonder of the jungle scenes in Crysis on my U2711 were worth the premium.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Ha, that was exactly the same with me! My U2711 was actually one of the best if not THE best high end investment I ever made, considering its longevity. I still use it to this day, and despite being limited by 60Hz and no g-sync, the image quality is still fantastic and I find it SOOO hard to upgrade after reading SOOO many complaints about the craptastic panel quality in the high end monitors of today. I literally didn't even know what backlight bleeding was for example because I never had any similar issues with my U2711...

At this point I'm pretty sure that even when I finally upgrade, I will still keep my Dell on the side or for a secondary PC. :O

17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Used to be that having 2 nvidia cards in SLI would give you 80-90% performance boost. Adding a 3rd card would give an extra 20%, adding a 4th card would give you an extra 4%. So while 3-way and 4-way SLI simply wasn't worth it, i always found that 2-way SLI was great. Now though, with the 1080 and 1080Ti's that i tried in 2-way SLI, all i'm seeing lately is problems and around 60-70% performance boosts at best. Nvidia really fell off the wagon with their proprietary technologies this year. And getting G-sync to work properly with 2-way SLI is another nightmare entirely.

They keep promising that they'll fix these two issues in 'the next driver' but its been like 5 'next drivers' later and the issues still aren't fixed. Not sure if it's just a 10 series GPU issue or what but i never had these problems with the 9 series or 7 series cards.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What's the issue with Gsync and SLI?
    I have none.

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Loss of performance with both activated together. It's a known issue and manuelG said they're working on it.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Significantly?

Source of them acknowledging and that they are working on it?
    Haven't seen this.

I have seen that it affects performance by 10%~ IIRC in 3dmark benchmarks.
    Never tried anywhere else