Gpt drive.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Bendy52, May 22, 2017.

1. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Hi guys.

Im building a new pc and almost done, im gonna need an advice in this step though.

As far as I know a drive must be gpt to be able to install a uefi win 10 on it, in a previous attempt on my lap, I didnt know that and had to install win in legacy mod in the end cause the other option was to wip out the entire hdd with all info on it, to change it into gpt in case you already deleted your old operation system.

Now in the new build I have ssd for operation system, and hdd for the rest of the stuff.
    Im gonna make the ssd a gpt and install the uefi win on it.
    But im afraid that when I will plug the hdd few days later, as it will be shipping later than the ssd.
    Im afraid the system wont boot in uefi cause not the entire drives in my system are gpt.

Or does win require inly the main drive ( c ) to be gpt and no problem will happen ?

Thx in advance

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no problem with doing that my SSD(os and some programs) is GPT and HDD(data/games/etc) is not GPT

3. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Great to know, didnt want to delay the win setup untill the hdd arrives.

Thx.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's also a command in cmd in win10 1703 that allows you to convert mbr to gpt without losing data.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Is there a command to switch it back to mbr I have a drive that's GPT protected partition I'm trying to recover data from?

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I don't know about converting GPT back to MBR, but I can confirm too that my UEFI Windows 10 can read my other drives (second internal MBR HDD and external MBR USB drives) perfectly fine. No need to convert them to GPT.

Only the boot drive needs to be GPT partitioned. Everything else can be plain old MBR.

Btw, you don't gain anything by converting MBR to GPT. If you partition and format a fresh new drive, yeah, you might just as well use GPT for it. But for existing MBR drives, there's nothing to gain by converting them.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU: