any way to tweak 7800GT for CAD OpenGL at all?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by whatttup_G, Nov 12, 2006.

1. whatttup_G

whatttup_G New Member

GPU:
    eVga 7800gt
    i tried rivatuner and hit the side of the mountain the hard way a couple times before i found this place.. which after teh search.. would have saved me some time.. and since the last good pro/e thread is over 3 yrs old, i'll run this up the flagpole anyways.. i have a 7800GT and dont game on it at all, its only goal in life is regular PC use and life with pro/e

for those not familiar, pro/e is an OpenGL based CAD package and runs surprisingly well on nVidia game cards.. if you've noticed those quadro cards for 2000 bucks and wonder whats up with that, those are the card i'm supposed to be using.. so obviously 300 is cheaper than 2k, so here i am.. yeah GF cards aren't great at this, wireframe blows, but the shading is good and thats about all i work in so it is way usable

anyways i was pumped when i saw all the settings in rivatuner.. too many for me.. but i wanted to up the ability of this card for CAD since thats all i do.. now that i see these two are uncompatible, i'm looking for any other direction.. i was planning to search and post for help tweaking that, but now i'm looking for plan B altogether since i got owned

basically the search i did said something to the effect that 6800 cards were the last tweakable cards and newer ones are laser cut or whatever, and what i was trying to do.. softquadro.. is a no hope deal for anything new like 7x series

thus, is there anything else for me in this situation.. seems like this is the place to ask, some of you guys have insane benchmarks, gotta be something to learning that.. i know most of you game your boxes, so maybe there's some CAD guys also in my boat

anyways, thanks in advance either way for the help

2. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    I doubt it :(

3. Rectifier

Rectifier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI HD3870-OC
    Nope, sorry, 7800-series are unmoddable.
    You could try to sell it and buy an ATI 1800 something, and mod that one into a FireGL, since you're stuck on PCI-e I assume.
    The only other solution is modding a PCI-e 6800 (GT or ultra), but due to the bridge chips you'll have some problems.

4. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    it's never a question of CAD or Game, it's a question of WHICH CAD program(s) you use. In the past 3-4 years 3ds max was running MUCH faster, reliabler and with more quality in normal D3D mode compared to OpenGL or MAXtreme.

5. whatttup_G

whatttup_G New Member

GPU:
    eVga 7800gt
    well i said pro/e a few times there, thats what i run.. i've never known 3dmax to be a design program, always seen animations and graphics from there but not models, drawings or FEA

and although the 7800 is not softquadro'able, would any of these tweaker programs alter any of the soft settings to benefit the openGL side of things strictly for CAD apps vs. the many settings for particular games?

before it all took a crap on reboot, i had bumped some numbers for texture memory and some pipeline settings in rivatuner and thought that had help measurably.. unfortunately the deinstall to recover my system torched whatever i did, and i didnt write it down.. anyways, any input welcome and thanks!!

oh yeah.. yes i'm in one of the pciE slots, no agp on this board :D

thx again

6. whatttup_G

whatttup_G New Member

GPU:
    eVga 7800gt
    one other note

at work the station i have has a quadro fx3500 in it, can i read the settings off this somehow and try to replicate this at home with the geforce card? i opened the nvidia panel for the quadro but could find any worthwhile info page anywhere in there that gave up worthwhile specifics.. i thought this might be useful as pro/e wildfire is one of the app specific settings it allows, so whatever optimized numbers that card likes are in there somewhere

thx

7. Lord Banshee

Lord Banshee Master Guru

GPU:
    X1950XT 512 @ FireGL 7350
    I was using my 7800GT with pro/e last spring and i found the best setting for me was my normal settings.

AA - Auto
    AF - 16x
    Image Settings - High Quality
    VSync - ON

But the more i think about it it might be VSync - Off... Try both, one way would give me slight artifacts the other would make everything perfect.... this is true for a couple other CAD software and the setting never seems to be the same (Pro/e, UG, Solid Edge, Rhino).

8. whatttup_G

whatttup_G New Member

GPU:
    eVga 7800gt

nice.. this is what i'm talkin about.. will try and report back, thanks!!

9. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Actually I found Pro/E not benefitting much from a quadro card, im my eyes it really doesn´t require a quadro card. And I wouldn´t put too much weight in the Specview results since they don´t reflect realworld application environments. Think that has changed a bit with SpecViewPerf 9 since the drivers can´t detect specific viewing setups like they used to in earlier specview benchmarks. So with a highend video card like a 7800GT you should be setup very well for working with Pro/E. Btw, you´re working with wildfire1 or 2? Since I figured Wildfire is pretty much slower then wildfire 2 in viewport rendering.

regards

10. whatttup_G

whatttup_G New Member

GPU:
    eVga 7800gt

WF2 and i agree, the quadro cards aren't like 5x as impressive for 5x the cost.. but they are stronger in some areas, none obvious if you just open a single part and spinwhip it around... but yeah, for a game card the 7800 is amazing rendering cad considering its being used 'wrong'

now i dont really benchmark this thing, i have no one to compare to anyways... really i'm not sure what that would get me since i already have the only measurement device running most nights, and that tells me all i need to know.. how well pro/e runs/spins/hides/etc..

that being said, large arrays slow the spinning down and hidden line stuff is nearly unusable for anything of size, but thats to be expected with a card like this... so the point of posting this thread was to see if there are things to tweak, and now that i think of it, couldnt i just reinstall the rivatuner and dink around with some of the settings w/o trying to bootstrap and softquadro this?

i'm timid to try again, i lost a half day getting the stupid nvidia drivers back on.. stubborn to say the least.. but it seems like i picked up some performance even though i deinstalled everything.. and from what i remember on the rivatuner documentation, it does say some settings can be left behind like that

anyone know about this? this really isnt my arena of expertise ya know :lmao:

11. Scott Chabineau

Scott Chabineau New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT
    I have found the same issues with SolidWorks. Our IT guy thought he was doing me a favor by upgrading me to the 7800 GT, then I tried to bootstrap it to FX and the machine hung up. Bottom line: uninstalled RivaTuner.

Hmm...I wonder where my old card went?

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    The IT guy probably sold it on EBay... ;)

As some of you concluded, for some CAD/CAM applications like SolidWorks, Unigraphics and Studio Tools, Quadro of FireGL is a must since gaming cards perform awfully slow. But for 3DSMax, gaming card is perfectly fine - which is understandable since Max is primarily used for DCC for gaming purposes.