Need a new desk

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Loobyluggs, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Seriously,

Like, got to be that my existing desk has lasted about 10 years longer than I thought, and I came to the conclusion that I needed it to be replaced a long time ago, yet held on for...reasons?

I need something DEEP and WIDE, and just about perfect in every regard.

Plenty of room, so go nuts - but also, what you got? Interested.

It's the new loobyluggs - fun, happy and full of the joys of spring. It won't last, unlike my requirements for this desk :)

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Got a big old 180cm wide x 80cm deep x 70cm high desk with a couple of metal lock drawers on the right side, got it from one of these freebie sites where people give away their unwanted but too good to throw out stuff years ago

Looks like it might have been an office desk at one time

Would comfortably seat two people with two machines and plenty of wiggle room between, currently filled with CCTV LCD, Main PC LCD, a couple of Raspberry Pis and another spare LCD for testing

Not the most beautiful thing in the world, but you don't look at the fireplace when you're poking the fire :D

3. ProfBP

ProfBP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    I have an IKEA Galant desk in a left hand corner configuration with a small extension addon, a keyboard tray and a CPU sidecar/holder. The corner configuration gives me plenty of space for my two monitors, my Warthog HOTAS setup and plenty of mousing space. The add-on extension also provides plenty of working space if I feel like working on the guts of my machine, or if I need space for other things. It came in handy during Grad school and for working on taxes. I can't say much about IKEA furniture in the terms of longevity, but my IKEA Galant Desk is the best desk I have ever owned.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'd like that web address please!

Huh.

Never thought to look at Ikea.

They don't do that desk range, only drawer range in Galant. Got a piccie for me? I think they may have rebadged it into the Bekant range...

Might be wrong.

Anyone else? Kinda thinking there must be chunky desks out there, to better suit the feng shui I got going on in my head prior to redecorating. It's a big space and I got ideas flowing dudes and dudettes!

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Try to avoid Ikea galant desk that have height changing feet. They are not 100% stable and will get worse with time. I am actually looking to replace it.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have had one of those, a 120x80cm Ikea table with adjustable feet, for about half a dozen years. No problems whatsoever so far. Although I haven't touched the feet since the first adjustment. I like this table that has no fixed drawers or such. It gives a more airy feeling.

But then again, this certainly was much cheaper than the height adjustable tables from more reputable sources. It's not like people would go to Ikea for quality instead of cheap prices.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    IKEA Bekant (the electric version) is excellent and I can definitely recommend it.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am talking about ones that you have to screw with hand to stabilize (A-shape).
    One of the legs went completely bad and got lose. Had to wrap it with ductape to stabilize it. But yeah, I moved 2 times with that desk and had to take it apart and reassemble it, while sometimes changing feet height.

Anyway, I got Gelant wood top (160cm), so I guess I just need to buy a new frame for it that support straight feet.(T-shape)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

11. tyguy

tyguy Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I need a new desk and a chair :/ Don't get anything from Ikea; unless it's meatballs of course.

12. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    wow, that's £465 for a plywood desk, am I missing something?

OP, keep an eye on eBay, local Facebays too. A lot of people selling solid wood desks that will last you forever for dirt cheap.