Guru 3D SLI Users Guide (Part #2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Please continue the thread here guys, cheers.

A M D BugBear likes this.
  2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    can you SLI 2 cards if they're a different model number but same core?

3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    yes , as long as the are the same card you can SLI them

4. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    What should I expect score wise from my 2 8800's benchmark wise all stock. I game on a 20.1 wide screen 1680 by 1050 res.

5. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    Hi all.. long time no post.. I just got my SLI status back..whew

two 8800GTX cards = truly hedonistic video power

6. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    aint seen you for a while now , hows the rig and where you get the rev 2 of the enermax from??

7. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    My new machine is coming along now.. the Abit 680i board is nice.. have had a strange problem with it emitting noise from the cpu/pwm area while the cpu is working hard.. I swapped the first IN9 out and had the same issues.. so enermax thought that it might be the psu so they very graciously offered to swap my DXX with the new rev2 version.. seems the only diff is that it has 6+2 pin pci-e power leads, not just 6 and 8 pin, and it has a dedicated 8pin P8 cpu power lead as well as a 4+4 lead... the new psu didn't change the sound.. I am starting to think it's my cpu actually.. something about it is making the pwm hit some sort of resonance freq.

anyways.. i'm done chasing the sound down.. spent two weeks on it and more energy than I should have. I'm hoping to get a quad core for my b-day in April so maybe that will just fix it? who knows..

on an SLI note.. with the 97.92 drivers, I added my 2nd 8800GTX and only had to reboot once, no driver reload, then SLI was good to go... very very easy.. I was impressed that XP and the drivers worked so well to make that upgrade almost effortless. pretty nice!

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Interessant i have same issue with OCZ GX850W ( mine do this only during benchs), but i have see some on OCZ forum got this even with the PC off ( a little noise, when off, but increase when PC power on..) I m not really worry about this, i have got many PSU do a big sound when high load is ask.. and so far no prob...

It seems i will need buy the same enermax, the 6+2 pins if for the R600 GPU's for what i have read....

9. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    well- I'm ditching the IN9 in favor of the new gigabyte n680sli-dq6... that board is coming tomorrow... I think the noise issues in the IN9 were due to the tuniq tower being on the cpu too tightly for that board.. also the PWM on mine was getting to 110c with a fan on it.. then the whole board just died on me last weekend... so I tried a reference 680i board just for grins.. those are terrible OCers.. the cpu voltage vdroop is the worst I have ever seen.. 1.50v would droop to 1.43 or so.. maybe even lower.. so I had to use so much vcore it was getting my cpu too hot.. bad!

so I'm hoping the gigabyte board with it's quad-triple phase power is good. now I just need a QX6700 and my life will be complete. ;)

10. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Have you got the Gigabyte yet Rev? Wondering how its treating ya?

11. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    So far so good.. I have been too busy to mess with it much.. I am getting a new cpu soon which is a known good clocker, so once I get that puppy in I am sure I will play around with the OCing potential on this board more.. I'm also looking at getting a Coolit Freezone to cool my cpu.. seems like a nice compact good performing option for that.. I have tried a couple different air coolers and they perform ok, but load temps get a little too high for my taste. but by the same token, I know of no game that makes a cpu work as hard as it does with Orthos small fft's.. and games is what I'll be doing with this rig..

Anyways.. ever since my 2nd IN9 went out on me my cpu has not OC'd very well.. it hits 3.2 stable but that's about it.. I tried it on two different boards also.. same exact behavior. Any time I add vcore over 1.40v it gets very unstable.. so I am at 400x8.. I tried 457x7 but something didn't like that.. maybe the cpu (week 25) didn't like 1800 fsb? who knows.. something was a miss.. but I didn't have the time to do 50 reboots to hunt the issue down.. so I run linked and sync'd with mem @ 3-3-3-9 2t.. it's pretty fast. looking forward to my new cpu tho. I'll be able to push this board some. :) no one seems to have much info on this board yet.. not a lot of thread activity on it.. I'm going to start a thread on [H] once they get their review up.. hopefuly we can pool some good info on it.

I am also happy to report the pwm sound is completely non-existant on this board.. as I said above, I think that it might have been my Tuniq Tower being on too tight which caused that buzz/hiss sound from the pwm.. I wish I could confirm that for sure, but I guess I should just be happy it's no present with this board. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  12. ediflorianus

ediflorianus Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD7550 2G DDR3
    I Got my Second 6800Ultra (same core ,models , difrent frecqvencis)
    I have 680i SLI board (ASUS P5N32-E-SLI)
    1x Asus N6800Ultra (425/1100)
    1x Gainward Wather Cooled 2600GS 6800Ultra (original 400/1100 ,3dmode 450/1200)
    the card's PCB ar 99 % identical.
    diferent cooling (but not for long , i ordered 2xAC Silencer rev3)

first I set them up i needed to restart a few times my PC to actualy see the pover in 3Dmark06 (5500 marks)
    CPU E6300@2.8 (5500 marks)
    I had winXp 64bit

now I had some HDD drive problems and I sadly Formated all my HDD
    HDD (WD 250 16mbuff)

I tried 2 drivers on my new XP 32bit clean instalation
    1 driver - nVIDIA ForceWare 100.87 Win2000/XP (32-bit) manualy instaled
    SLI did not work (3330 Point's)
    2 driver is right now the NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver v1.9792 - but have some problems with it. The SLI dosen't Kick in all the time.

Now i'm triig 93.71 WQHL driver... if thi's dosen't work and the problem persist's than i have an copatibility or a faulty Bios seting.

How do i need to instal the driver ?
    Fist Unplug the cable from the 2 cards and instal it ? (i get black screen if my card's ar not unpluget at the instalation moment)
    or get black screen , not unplug it and restart manualy my PC ??
    in Counter Strike Source the SLI don't seem to Kick In ? why ? i got 75 FPS on 1280x1024@75(maybe 60hz) full aa & af & bloom

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  13. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    props to you for rolling old school with the 6800Ultras! damn good cards...

I don't think you really need to pull anything while re-installing drivers.. but be sure to clean you drivers out with like Driver Cleaner Pro or something.. (clean with "nvidia" as the key word), then reboot, then install the new driver fresh..

14. ediflorianus

ediflorianus Member

GPU:
    something is definitly Wrong , i got only 3803 Marks
    1827 - SM2
    1030 - SM3
    CPU score - 2404

Like ther's no SLI :( and WHLQ drivers:( ... i need to have at least 5000 marks, i had 5500 on XP 64 bit...

15. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    maybe try and older driver, like 82.xx or 81.92 I think was a good one?

16. ediflorianus

ediflorianus Member

GPU:
    dowloaded driver from nvidia.com - kick ass - 5600 marks
    pls upload original drivers on this site. (guru3d.com) for SLI use.

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Nice job mate... glad you got it sorted... I remember my SLI 6800Ultras... they seriously kicked some ass in their day... :)

18. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    Hi Guys

i dident have a very good experience with sli - i have 2 gainward bliss 7900gt pci express 512mb - as soon as i got them working the cpu and motherboard started to overheat,both cores rose to 56 within a minute,took me long enough to find a driver to recognise the sli cards-93.71
    dont know if its relevant but my cpu is clocked to 3.0ghz,is it common to see these kind of temp increases when you use sli,
    so i think i will keep with 1 card, i like it when system idles low 30's
    regs
    paul

19. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    well, it's no secret that SLI does work the system harder than it would with a single card.. the management of the cards, lots of textrure requests.. it works the whole mobo harder.. 56c on both cores is not uncommon with an overclocked core2, but that's a bit high for 3ghz.. what cooling do you have on your cpu?

20. LabShark

LabShark Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah - my SLI rig puts out a lot of heat. I finally put an extra side exhaust fan in my Thai Chi case to get the heat out of there.