x86 w10 on x64 EFI atom tablet

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by EspHack, Aug 9, 2017.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    hello gurus, I've been trying to install x86 w10 on this nuvision TM800W610L machine but so far seems impossible, apparently the UEFI spec dictates that firmware bit depth be matched with OS bit depth, hence win efi x86 will only boot on x86 efi firmware and vice versa for x64

now for some reason this OEM made this tablet with an x64 efi so it can only use x64, a non-upgradeable 2gb ram device with 32gb storage... let that sink in for a moment. I can't even begin to comprehend the reasoning behind this :bang:

but then I tried booting kali linux x86 and guess what, it worked, I checked the install media and it has both x64 x86 efi boot files, but the OS itself is x86, is there any way to do this on windows? I would really appreciate any ideas

2. JikuK

JikuK Guest

GPU:
    tm800m610l
    How did you get the tm800w610l to load kali? I can't get it to load from the SD no matter what I do.

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    lol what are the chances, I never come to the forum main board anymore

I no longer have that thing but I booted kali straight from usb using a microb to A adapter, the eMMC on it is atrociously bad, I would advise getting rid of it honestly

386SX likes this.
  4. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Is there any chance of it using legacy boot? Yeah it is a bit slower, but with Atom CPU, 2 GB of ram and 32 GB flash you are not gonna see much performance with either 32 or 64-bit installation. Once your windows will auto-update, it will use all the space. I would suggest Cloudready OS or some other Linux for it. These things were not usable with Windows 10.
    Oh, you did get rid of it, good!

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Try Linux Mint x64, it will perform faster than Windows and all the stuff this Atom can handle is installed easily in a matter of minutes. Firefox, Thunderbird and such things ...
    I mean ... it's not like you would be running Crysis on that thing, right? ;)