Windows 8.x has marketshare of 9.30 percent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Net Market Share's reports on the marketshare of Windows 8.x basically flatlined in November. Windows 8 had a marketshare of 6.66 percent in November and Windows 8.1 stood at 2.64 percent, totaling 9...

Windows 8.x has marketshare of 9.30 percent

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    How much of that is because of pre-installed copies, particularly laptops? Very few actually use 8.x by choice, most actually hesitate from buying laptops because of Windows 8. 8.1 does the scummy move of trying to force you to use a Windows Live account. It wouldn't let me continue with the installation until I did so, then they hide the option to have an offline account. Honestly I don't like anything M$ did during Ballmer's reign of derp.

3. Windows 8.x sucks. Before forcing it on us first explain the disparity between XP and Vista in the chart.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The fact that alot premade pc companies are switching back to win7 and or give consumers the choice to go with win8 or win 7 and people still rather use win7 apparently means nothing to MS.

say what now? wth why would i want to use that.

Did MS not learn anything from what they TRIED to force feed the consoles world? and failed and backtracked with i 24 hours. IF this was the PC world of OS they would not of backtracked let alone in 24 hours

MS is lucky that if people want to PC game or for that mater have PC 99% of all them use there OS. that is MS only saving grace in the PC world they control PC world of OS.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I use it and enjoy it by choice. Guess I'm the minority. There is nothing about it that bothers me other than Microsoft continuing to ignore minor features and details i'd like to see. Especially dealing with explorer navigation and stuff.

6. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    The only reason I switched to W8 from W7 is to get better performance in BF4. It was huge difference. I know it maybe stupid to do it because of one game but BF4 is the only game I play.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WindowsXP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 were all under Ballmer.... Win2K/ME were the last releases developed under Gates, even though they were actually released under Ballmer. So, basically what you're saying is you prefer Win9x/NT3/NT4 to NT5/NT6....

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They don't force you but they sure hid the option to opt out of a Microsoft Account really well. Completely deceptive. With that said 8.1 is honestly fine. You can get it to operate similarly to 7 without much issue.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I thought Ballmer didn't have so much control until Gates officially left? Everything seemed to go down the toilet after that point.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What I find most amusing is the number of people that criticized Windows 8 and claimed that it never would have happened under Gates. Yet 8 is essentially the culmination of everything Bill wanted for all those years. The guy touted touch input more than anyone, along with natural language, etc. This isn't even to mention the fact that Bill was the one who green-lit 8 to begin with. Microsoft had the Courier on one hand and Steve Sinofsky's vision for Windows 8 on the other. Ballmer wasn't sure what the right decision was so he asked Gates who ultimately decided on Windows 8 because it was aligned properly with Microsoft's other revenue generating products (Office, Exchange, etc).

If Gates decided on Courier, 8 would have never tried to unify tablets and PC interfaces.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The key complaint is not what Windows 8 is, it's the whole strongarming that they've been attempting. Completely removing the code for the start menu and regular menus, trying to force the use of Live accounts, trying to force all that insanity with the Xbone. It didn't help that they removed the widgets/gadgets from their own website leaving a note saying they've moved onto apps for Windows 8, tough luck, go buy that. You're telling me Gates was the one who decided any of that?

But on that note, after using a Surface tablet it really confirms to me that 8.x doesn't belong on any non-touchscreen device. Especially a desktop or work environment. Yet it wouldn't be such a problem if they left all the old options instead of trying to force the new way down everyone's throats. I don't know how long I've had my 8.x laptop now but at this point it seems like 8.x is not something I'll ever like.

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I've been a long user of an Xbox 360, Windows Phone 7/8 and so I'm in the minority when it comes to liking and preferring Windows 8.x.

Living amongst siblings I really like the integrated parental control features which have essentially been imported across from Windows Live Safety which is bundled in to the Windows Live package. I have no fear of them coming across a website they shouldn't.

I also hear they are merging the OS for the Xbox One with Windows RT and possibly Windows Phone.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Bill Gates stepped down as CEO and officially turned the company over to Ballmer in January 2000. He's retained his position as chairman of the board since January 2000. Gates never "officially left" MS.

There are investors demanding that Gates be removed as Chairman, but since those investors only hold roughly 5% (combined) stake in MS, their demands are meaningless.

Windows RT and Windows Phone are being merged. Xbox uses the NT kernel, but doesn't run a full Windows build, so it would make no sense at all to merge it with Windows.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol, Gates himself owns 5% of the company

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ballmer holds roughly 4% stake in MS. The investors that are demanding Gates be removed as Chairman of the Board, are actually investment groups. Majority of the board supports Gates. The same investor groups want Ballmer removed from the board of directors as well. But again, their 5% combined stake doesn't give them enough votes to do anything. They need a majority vote from investors to force the removal of either without being blocked by members of the Board of Directors. Good luck getting enough investors to vote for Bill Gates being removed against the wishes of the board...lol

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol yeah not gonna happen. Also, this just came up, funny enough:
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/04/mi...int-in-13-38-years/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000591

Of course, when the surface losses are eventually actually accounted for, I'm sure they'll drop $10 or so for a quarter or two. But otherwise they're doing well.

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Damn what if a big corporation like this would help with the suffering of famine in the world. Or any other big corporation for that matter... there's too little cooperation and unity in this world..

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Bill Gates donated 28 billion to charity over the years and still has a net worth of 72 billion. So freakin' rich.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I knew he stepped down as CEO in 2000, but I thought he still had the final say until he was relatively inactive in recent years. I didn't know he hadn't parted with the company yet.

My question remains the same though, who's idea was all that strong-arming?

20. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Pretty much this for me as well.