Gtx 970 sli

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blue_kid, Apr 24, 2015.

1. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have the GTX 970 Asus Strix, and i want to add one more card
    For now i'm using a 32 inch monitor, 1440p, but soon i want to get a 4k
    I tested today with Nvidia Control Panel DSR Factors, and simulated 4k on some games
    The average was about 38-40 fps with AA off. Not too bad, i'd say
    My question is : if i have SLI, what would be the improvement ?
    About 35-40 % or even more ?
    Thank you

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It depends what your target FPS is at 4K. If you don't care much about that I guess you're fine with 970SLI but if you want 60fps at all times then you'll need something more powerful, like 980Ti SLI or equivalent.

3. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Speaking from my recent experience as I have just bought a couple of 970's. They will really struggle to hold 50-60fps at 4k in the AAA games. I have a 3440x1440 monitor - not quite 4K but it is noticeable more demanding than the 2560x1440 display I moved from.

If it were me, I would be looking at 980 SLI or maybe 970 tri SLI for a 4k screen.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ What about if you overclock your 970s?

I am @ 1440p currently until the new 34" acer drops, so I dunno if a solid overclock would add enough to stabilize @ 60 without the need to drop quality settings, but the 970s seem to oc pretty well.

Also, running on Win 7 or Win 8? In most games I've played I see a ~10 fps boost playing a game in Win 8 over Win 7.

Just wondering if there are ways to get the performance more stabilized on 2 970 rather than going 2x980 since the difference in price can be $400 or more to go with the 980s and you really don't get THAT much of a performance boost.

5. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i wonder, alltough i have 1 x GTX 970, as i said, i tested today with Nvidia Control Panel DSR Factors, and simulated 4k on some games.
    AA off, and the average was about 40 fps, or even more
    With SLI, that should be better, am i right ??
    ScoobyDooby, it's hard to believe that you get 10 fps more in Win 8 over Win 7

6. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  7. koroviev

koroviev Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 Strix
    Hi kid,
    Just found your post about Strix 970 on mobo GA-EX58-UD5... So here my little story:
    Since yesterday, I had your same machine:
    i7-920@3,8
    GA-EX58-UD5 Rev 1 (last bios f13)
    corsair HX650W
    quadro video card

I updated with:
    Xeon X5650@3,8
    2 X Strix 970

BUT the monitor doesn't have any signal, I can't see bios settings too with Strix 970 connected.
    Not only in sli, just with one of two 970 connected, do the same thing.
    If I replace the Strix with the old quadro monitor start to go and everything is right...

SO, there are 3 possibly I found surfing the net:
    -BIOS
    -DRIVERS
    -MONITOR
    and I add:
    -Xeon

You can really help me if you can tell me which version of bios your mobo is using and how did you connect the Strix and the monitor (which cable dvi or hdmi or ...)
    So, with your settings, if my Strix doesn't go, probably it's the xeon and I try to change with the i7 and trying again...

Hope I was clear, thanks a lot.
    If you think about an 'idea' or bios settings to 'see' the Strix please tell me too.
    Stefano.

8. koroviev

koroviev Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 Strix
    Hi, I report the solution, maybe can be helpful to somebody:
    After trying many changes like i7-instead of xeon and various bios' versions, I connectec via VGA/DVI a very little old monitor (about 15 years) and it read the GTX!!!
    So I started windows, installed drivers of GTX and reconnected the big monitor and now is working! BUT only when start windows, I mean, I can't enter in bios settings with the big monitor... It just run when windows ask me for the password. The monitor is HP w2558hc. If I want to enter in the bios settings I must connect the little, old monitor. Obviously I tried to install the latest big-monitor's drivers too (dated 2014), but nothing changed. So, thank you anyway. Bye.

9. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090