Custom Loop Opinions

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by biggi_, Apr 1, 2014.

1. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    So I'm debating taking the plunge into the whole water cooling scene on my backup PC that currently has a Kuhler 920 on it. I have an Antec Lanboy with an EVGA x58 motherboard and an i7 940. I'm thinking of cooling both CPU and GPU on water and I'm totally lost on where to start. What's good/not good, what all is needed, etc. Any ideas would be helpful.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Would be a waste on a backup PC. Watercooling is pretty expensive.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm working towards a "custom loop" as well. I started with a Coolermaster Glacer 240L since it's an expandable AIO....and cheaper than buying all the parts separately.

5. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    You will need a radiator
    Some decent fans(static pressure is usually prefered but it will ultimately depend on the FPI of the rad you choose)
    A pump
    A reservoir
    Water blocks
    Tubing(I recommend something newer that does not have plasticizers)
    Coolant/Distilled water w/ a Biocide(NOTE:most coolant already have a biocide additive)
    Fittings, compression or barb. Either works well, compression fittings look much nicer.

Ideally you do not want to mix metals, so get all copper, or all nickel blocks.

Basically for the loop order, just make sure your res is above the pump.

Flush the blocks and radiators before installing into the system.

Its all pretty simple really.

6. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    So here is where I am at with the setup. I know it's expensive, but I want to actually sell this to a good buddy of mine for gaming (it's not that bad of a system with a bit of OC, could be very nice still). It already has an Antec 920 on it. Can I remove the tubing from that, use the cpu block, and just buy a res/pump/fittings? I feel like going from the AIO unit to a loop would still help with the temps, wouldnt' be more than a few hundred bucks and would look much much better.

7. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    If you are going to buy a res, pump, and fittings--you might as well get a rad and a proper block.
    A decent CPU block is not that expensive and neither is a 240 or 360 rad.

I don't know if you can use the Antec as just a block, because it also has the pump built in.
    I am not sure what the internal structure is on those, and how well it would flow with an external pump.

8. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I know I need a rad/pump. I wanted to know can I use the part over the CPU itself? Since it's already mounted, has 1/4" fittings and is a copper block.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  10. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI

11. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    920 can be used as a block. Will need to unscrew it and remove the impeller (it just pulls out)

A Kuhler 620 will fit on your 580 if you just wanted a simple solution to wc the gpu.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    What your doing there is customising but why bother when you can just buy a custom loop and get superior performance.

All you needs is rad, pump, res, blocks, tubing, fittings and biocide.
    Pick your components, make sure they all fit and it will be much better than what you had in mind.:)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This. If you're going water, do it properly the first time. As much as you can, anyways. Patching up an existing AIO is not the way to go.