Bulldozer or nehalem?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Elysianarcane, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Elysianarcane

Elysianarcane Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6620G 512MB
    I'm curious as to what will be faster...

with same amount of cores and clock for clock will BD be faster then nehalem ( i know 100% that it wont beat Sandybridge) - but will it truly be as fast as nehalem?

if so,, i might grab BD instead of Ib

2. You should check up on your 100%. There are a few reasons BD was setback.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Might equal SB, but I doubt it'll beat it. Don't see any issue with your current setup at all.

4. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    should be about aS fast as a i3 haha.. (sarcasm)

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No one knows except people under NDA.

deltatux

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're 100%, is more like 50/50....until performance data is finally released, it's impossible to say for sure how Bulldozer will compare to Nehalem, Sandy Bridge or Sandy Bridge-E....

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    People who claim they know the final numbers are either just making it up or just theorizing ... no one actually knows the numbers except those under very strict NDAs. Even if they claim to be in NDA, no one can verify their numbers to see if they are true or not.

Personally, I'm holding on a rig upgrade to see how Bulldozer performs before I replace this Phenom II build.

deltatux

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Even the numbers being "leaked" are, for the most part, being made up....lol

I'll be sticking with my current config until at least Aug 2012, aside from a possible graphics card upgrade.

9. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Even then, they have the slower engineering samples, I think. How the final product will perform will be anyone's guess.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Only AMD knows how the final product will turn out.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, they might release some close-to-final chips to board manufacturer for further testing and better BIOS/EFI refinement. Sure, the original eng. samples are for validation, but newer chips can help further BIOS/EFI revision development because AMD may have changed something on the chip which might warrant software tweaks in the firmware level for maximum support and compatibility.

deltatux

12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    So, all I've seen are leaked benchmarks, and from what I've seen [for what they're worth]:

1: BD wins in any situation that is properly threaded [as expected]
    2: Looses to Nehalem in non-threaded situations [as expected]
    3: Questionable FP performance [as expected]

The last *reasonable* leaked benchmarks I saw [about a week ago] did a comparison across an entire software suite, and BD was about 87% as fast as a simmilarly clocked Nehalem chip. I'll see if I can dig up the link...

As far as games go, every leaked benchmark I've seen says the same story: Nehalem wins.

BD will win in benchmarks, I have no doubt of that. In real-world performance though, in apps that don't scale to 8 CPU cores? Thats the question.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not sure how many times I need to post this, but here goes again. "Leaked" benchmark results are not a reliable source of performance data. The "leaked" data can not be verified and is thus worthless.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The way I see it is, having a 1366 platform too. I simply do not see the point in upgrading any time soon. I mean, my rig is super speedy with whatever I throw at it. For me, and yourself, to upgrade to a SB platform would be more like a sidegrade than an upgrade and a downgrade in terms of data throughput (triple channel vs dual channel). I am not even going to jump on the bandwagon and automatically get a SB-E when they come out next year, as this would mean a motherboard upgrade, possible memory upgrade if they use quad-channel memory, and then the CPU too. So I am just going to upgrade my i7 920 C0 (which is first gen i7 and EXTREMELY toasty warm) to an i7 960 D0 for better stock clocks 2.66 vs 3.2 and much better energy efficiency. The i7 960 was around £500 when it came out and now its going for £191 even at stock this will tide me over until SB-E gets a reform and the price of quad-channel memory comes down.

I suggest anyone with a 1366 platform, waits until the next gen SB-E socket 2011 comes out or the prices drop. It makes more sense than upgrading to every new chip and socket that comes out.

15. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Weird how you say for 100% you know bd won't be faster than nehalem and thus must know more than all of us; yet then ask if it will be faster then sandybridge.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    look at the track record of amd. when have they ever beaten intel in the performance category? once that i know of and look how long ago it was. even if bulldozer is on par or slightly better than SB, it really wont mean much for long considering intel is releasing 2 new cpu's within the next year that will annihilate the competition.

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    this

i mean seriously, they why did you ask in the first place lol

imo AMD's 8core is gonna be on par with 2600k if not a little faster. And also vs nehalem 980x 6core(12 threads) on par or a little faster..

And as you know i2600k is around 980x perf., except there where extra 2 cores count.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD beat Intel's 486DX2-66 with their 486DX4-100, the K7/K8 beat the Pentium3, Pentium4 and PentiumD. AMD managed to maintain a performance advantage for 6 years. Intel has only had that luxury for 5 years thus far. It's very possible for AMD to outperform Intel again. They just need to be willing to do the work and ignore this whole "make every new processor compatible with the previous socket" crap that they've been focused on since 2006... As long as maintaining backward compatibility with previous sockets is among their goals when designing a new processor, AMD will have a hard time.

It's more time and budget consuming to design a processor around a socket, than it is to design a socket around a processor.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I still know that SB will rape BD in games.

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    Is it because you own SB or because you foreseen the future?