Windows 10 Build 14390

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

Improvements and fixes for PC

• You should no longer see the error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings page if your PC is using a non-EN-US language.
    • The Microsoft Edge Team has a new extension to tell you about that many of you have been waiting for:
    • Amazon Assistant: Amazon’s official browser extension is now available for Microsoft Edge! Amazon Assistant helps you make better decisions wherever you shop online by giving you access to Deal of the Day, Product Comparison, Wish List and Shortcuts to your favorite Amazon destinations. Check out all of the available extensions by launching Microsoft Edge, opening the “…”menu, selecting “Extensions” and then clicking “Get extensions from the Store”.”

Known issues for PC

• AWARENESS: A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.

Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...nsider-preview-build-14390-for-pc-and-mobile/

2. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Thanks - downloading now.

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Input indicator doesn't stay turned off after reboot again

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Edge still doesn't close properly, ABP needs to be reinstalled after upgrade, explorer still doesn't retain all its settings, system restore turned off again, steam still detects double controllers if you're upgrading windows rs1, nv cp is reset and physx is set to cpu, realtek cp remembers all except one setting - that my audio is stereo and not 7.1, and the following was reported by another MDL member "Custom firewall rules lost (new in this build), Win+X additions lost (new to builds starting last week), Task Scheduler history disabled (this one baffles the mind), IE compatibility view settings lost, http/https protocol defaults removed (assuming you had it set to another browser).... ". Meh.

I had issues in settings where my lock screen wasn't previewed and app icons had red crosses - that's fixed.

And yes I have used the feedback app.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

This is basically Windows 10.1, hence the change to code name Redstone. The releases like TH2 are effectively service packs.

Many Windows settings are reset because they commonly get misused by people not knowing what they are doing, following poor settings advice on the internet or some crappy tweak (twack) programme, the majority which just stuffs up people's computers. If these weren't issues the changes wouldn't be made.

All devices are actually reinstalled, they don't just get carried over directly from the previous installation. That may mean some things go back to default. Keep in mind installing a new build is the same as using the refresh option, it tries to avoid transferring issues. For most people it's a good thing! However it may mean some things need re-adjusting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's a bug, not a feature because things like details pane and opened edge tabs never made anyone's PC explode.TH2 and RS1 are code names like longhorn.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I know, but the codename is a designator, with the designator symbolic of release type.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Didn't have any issues upgrading from Build 14388 to 14390 and, thankfully, unlike the 10586.494 to 14388 upgrade, almost all of my settings, including the File Explorer view settings were retained so I didn't have to mess around getting things like the library views to "stick". Even PhysX was correctly set to Auto this time whereas previously it was set to the CPU.

The only oddities I encountered, which were the same going from Build 10586.494 to 14388, were:

1. My Sound Blaster Z settings were set to 5.1 and not 2.0/2.1 (I use stereo speakers with a sub-woofer);
    2. System Restore was again set to Disabled; and
    3. Edge seems to not want to let me sign into my Google account for some reason on the www.google.co.uk (which is set as my default search engine).

Everything else is working great, including games, except for the annoying 0x80070005 error I am still encountering when trying to move or install Windows Store apps and games to any non-C: (Windows boot) drive.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm .. I've made an iso out of Wzor's esd and installed it in hyper-v. Let's see how it goes.

btw services in both my live install and hyper-v have some weird labels like the following,

[​IMG]

Same for any of you?

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I did a clean install of this build, Edge still has strange close issue and steam bpm still detects two controllers even with a new steam install. Oh c'mon!

Ok, a new one - samsung magician thinks I don't have AHCI active :p

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Opened 8 difference tabs in Edge and closed it. Seems to close fine on my system. No sign of it running after I shut it down in Task Manager. I have about six extensions installed.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No idea what's going on with it. Everyone has some issue or the other and there's no guarantee they'll have the same as you. Very perplexing. Anyway, I'm back to 1511 as breaking steam bpm is a show stopper for me. Everything is normal now. One difference between my 1511 and 1607 installs is that I used the chipset inf tool in 1511 and not in 1607 as there were no exclamation marks in device manager. Maybe I should have used it? Too late now. I've set WU to defer upgrades for 2 months. I'm not keen on putting up with it if 1439x builds are RTM. Chatter is on that 14391 is too unstable to RTM *shudder*.