2 GPU's, Very odd circumstance

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Khonrath, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Khonrath

Khonrath Guest

GPU:
    R 9 270x, 780 ACX SC
    I have an R9 270x and a GTX 780 ACX SC. I run games off of the 780, while using the 270x to mine. However, any software that processes and shows GPU information (temperatures, fan speed, etc) will not show the 270x. Precision X and MSI Afterburner both show the 270x, however the software refuses to show any numbers.

However, when I run the monitor off of the 270x instead of the 780, both MSI and Precision X show all information of both cards, and allow me to change fan speeds, clocks, etc. Can anyone understand why? I solely have the 780 for gaming, so it must be connected to the monitor, and I solely have the 270x for mining, so it does not require to be on an output. How can I get software to recognize the 270x so that I may monitor its temperatures?

I will also note that the 270x will mine perfectly fine and does work.

P8z77m-Pro
    16gb Corsair Vengeance
    GTX 780 ACX SC
    Gigabyte R9 270x
    i5 3570k
    Windows 7 ult

Any thoughts or suggestions to try out?

2. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    have you tried gpuz? you can select for each instance of the program what video card you want to monitor the temps etc.

3. Khonrath

Khonrath Guest

GPU:
    R 9 270x, 780 ACX SC
    Yes I have tried GPU-Z. With GPU-Z, it will show both cards, and give all information about the cards, however SENSOR tab does not work for the R9 270x Only when the 780 GPU is being used for the display monitor. All I really need to do is fan control and/or temperatures. But several software are all giving me the same outcome (780 monitor = 270x no temp/fan speed/clock adjustment, 270x monitor = both cards all information displays correctly).

Problem is I only need the 780 for the monitor because it is the one I want to use for games.

4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    I guess it is caused by ULPS, try disable it and see how's going.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Any graphics card is in inactive state with limited access to it until you connect a monitor to it. So that's pretty normal. Either force fake monitor detection on it or leave it as is without sensor readings.

6. Khonrath

Khonrath Guest

GPU:
    R 9 270x, 780 ACX SC
    Yes I have tried that and it didn't work.

It isn't a dealbreaker if I can't get it to work, but would be nice to monitor temps and fanspeed...

@Unwind

If I use Precision X or MSI Afterburner to set a fanspeed for the 270x (while it is the display), and then switch the display to the 780, will the fanspeed settings work even though I can no longer see the settings within the program?

7. Khonrath

Khonrath Guest

GPU:
    R 9 270x, 780 ACX SC
    I have forced the R9 270x to display a false monitor, but then I am stuck with a false screen on the edge of my monitor.

I am wondering why the 780 does not require a false monitor in order to be recognized while the 270x is being used as a display? If only it was the other way around I'd be perfect!

8. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Er... Driver quality? :D