ASUS EN5900 PCI-e mem problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ZyberNeo, May 17, 2005.

1. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

Hi there,

I have an Asus Extreme N5900 PCIe w/128DDR.
    I can overclock my gpu without problems but when I try to overclock the mem i get a very low score, no matter which game or benchmark I run.

What can I do to solve this problem?

2. XL_ence

XL_ence Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2T
    I have the same card as you can see from my specs on the right. I found that overclocking does not work at all with the original bios. I flashed my Bios to one of the ones on this page.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85394&highlight=5900xt+bios+mod

The one i picked specifically was the last one on the page, the BFG 5950u one. Look around to find how to bios flash and such before doing it. Or just ask any questions if you're confused.

3. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

I have triede to flash with the bios you recommended, but it says "GPU Mismatch"

I used the following command: nvflash filename.rom

4. tomek

tomek Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS N6600GT@580/1160

5. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

For flashing your Asus Extreme N5900 PCIe card,

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v5.13

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -4 -5 -6 BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

However because of DOS filename restrictions, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have no more than 8 char's in first part of filename and no more than 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise the command.

And note; the -4 -5 -6 command switches will force a flash regardless of any ID mismatches, so always just select to continue.

But obviously make sure you ONLY flash a AGP type card with a supporting AGP bios, and a PCI-E type card with a supporting PCI-E bios !!!!!

NOW LOOK VERY CAREFULLY AT MY LAST STATEMENT !!!!

The BFG 5950u bios from the "Moded 5900xt Bioses" thread is for AGP cards only ------> which means to my understanding that it is not suitable for your PCI-E card !!!!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    I assume that you have a AGP card, since you successfully flashed with a AGP bios ??

Or are you saying that PCI-E cards are definately compatible with AGP bioses ??

7. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

I guess he uses a PCI-e card, because after what I know his motherboard is with PCI-e slot.

But Jimmor are there a BIOS you can recommend me to use, for my card, so I can overclock my mem?

8. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    I know very little about PCI-E fx5900 cards other than very few manufacturers seem to produce them, but those that do seem to make them almost identical. Or my first suggestion would have been to see if it helps by just flashing with another manufacturers bios.

Or alternatively, have you tried just upping the memory speed in your bios with NiBiTor v2.1 ?

9. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

I have downloaded Nibitor recently, but I it didn't make any sense to me, because the clocks I can see in "Coolbits" aren't the same as those in Nibitor:S

10. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    ZyberNeo,

I have now looked at your ASUS 5900 PCI-E bios and observed that the speeds are stored in ASUS's normal method of being different from everybody else. So only proper way to overclock speeds with your ASUS bios is either, use a ASUS proprietary clocking tool, or, mod the bios directly with a hex editor !!!!

And no point in using NiBiTor, since it checks and changes the wrong locations of your asus bios !

Or since I know that Gigabyte and Sparkle make 5900 PCI-E cards that don't use ASUS's method of setting speeds, I suggest you also try flashing with one of those ?

Last edited: May 19, 2005

11. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

I'll try flashing with one of the other bios's, from Gigabyte or Sparkle. Do you have a link for those?

12. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    you will find them at M v k t e c h 's website !

13. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

thanks for your help. I'll give it a try:)

14. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    No prob's, glad to help !

15. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

Hi again..

So now I have flashed my card with a Gigabyte bios and it helped, A LOT!

In coolbits i set it to autodetect the speeds (just to see what i might could oc it) and it said 483/819! where it before was 460 (hadn't tried higher) /700 so i'm prette glad. btw. are my benchmark scores at 483/819 =

3d01 = 20969
    3d03 = 66xx

Thanks to all that helped/tried to help:)

16. tomek

tomek Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS N6600GT@580/1160
    I`ve told U on the "known" forum: Jimmor will help U.

mokryjastrzab

17. DJ Sebas

DJ Sebas Guest

GPU:
    Asus EN5900 (PCIx)
    Hello,

I have the exact problem with my EN5900, but I'm verry carefull with flashing now cause I did a wrong flash with a FX 5200 and that card is 'dead'. Not exacly a flash but I change the Straps:mad:

ZyberNeo please can you do a test with 3DMark05 so I can see the different between for and after flashing. And can you give me the EXACT link to the BIOS file.

And how can you find out what revision on the card is?

Cause on M V K T they got a rev 02 (asus version)

Please help!

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  18. ZyberNeo

ZyberNeo Guest

Hmm I flashed it with a bios from Gigabyte..it can be found at mvkt. And I have achieve gret results by flashin/overclocking. Can't remember what my score was at std. clocks but now I get 6690 3d03

19. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    It shouldn't matter if you flash with the Sparkle or Gigabyte bios, since both will allow you to properly overclock your card. And you will also then be able to mod your bios just like any other 5900 owner.

As for 3dMark05 scores; to achieve 1500+, my FX5900nu had to have its timings tweaked and be overclocked to around 530/970.

Because of the lack of proper DX9 shader support, no matter what you do, you will never get very good 3dMark05 scores with a 5900 type card.

20. DJ Sebas

DJ Sebas Guest

GPU:
    Asus EN5900 (PCIx)
    Thats high!...with the core @ 420 i reach almost 5700

I post a new message when I have installed the other bios file (I hope the card doesn't crash)

Thanx 4 ur info!!!

Last edited: May 26, 2005