Mod the Radeon driver to work on FirePro

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by skyworxx, Feb 1, 2016.

1. skyworxx

skyworxx Guest

GPU:
    W9100
    Hi,

this might appear like a silly endeavor for many, but I am looking for a way to use Radeon drivers on a FirePro card. I know the opposite has been done in the past, but I wasn't able to find anything the other way round.

Why would I do this? Well, I have access to a FirePro card and would like to see how it performs with a game optimized driver. It definitely won't make sense for many people, especially if you had to buy a card, but the cheapest graphics card is the one you already have ;).

I would be thankful for any hints on what should be done. I tried the simple method of swapping out the pci device IDs in the ini file, disabling driver enforcement and installing it. However, the driver wouldn't want to install (error message said my current windows version [win10x64] is not supported, even though it was the latest Radeon driver for that system).

2. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    why? can't you play games with the firepro driver?
    Then you can compare with a review of a gpu for which your firepro is equivalent in terms of architecture, not vram.

3. skyworxx

skyworxx Guest

GPU:
    W9100
    I can play games, but I would like to see if the radeon driver provides any performance improvements. I am also planning to use the card for VR and the Oculus Rift runtime does seem to expect the Radeon driver as well

4. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    ok, try modifying the .inf's files in the driver, add your GPU signature from a firepro driver .inf. Maybe that will work.

5. skyworxx

skyworxx Guest

GPU:
    W9100
    I tried, but it didn't work

I modified the radeon-crimson-15.12-win10-64bit driver, by changing the 290x pci device id in the C0298676.inf to my firepro card

FirePro
    Code:
    "%AMD67A0.2%" = ati2mtag_Hawaii, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67A0
    290x
    Code:
    "%AMD67B0.1%" = ati2mtag_Hawaii, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B0&SUBSYS_40021002&REV_00
    Then, I tried installing the driver manually through the device manager. AFter diablign driver enforcement, I only get the error message saying that the driver is not compatible with my version of windows, but both drivers were win10x64 drivers.