Screwed up VidCard Install- No Display!

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by coolbluesurface, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Well, first of all- thanks for any help you can lend. My description is long, but I wanted to explain everything. I didn't anticipate all this this trouble just intalling a video card.
    I have a 1999 IBM 300PL desktop in horizontal-type case. It has 3 PCI slots, 2 ISA slots, 1 AGP slot, and 256 RAM among 3 memory slots. Also- this info was obtained from the IBM website after it "read" my computer: "Machine Type/Model 6862-24U; BIOS Version NVKT52AUS; Operating System Windows 98 SE version 4.10.2222; PII 350MHz 512KB 64MB NP 6.4GB HDD IDE PCI/ISA 4X4 32XCD".
    What happened is this: I got the computer a few weeks ago & it came with Trident S3 On-Board Video; I wanted to upgrade with a video card, so I first bought a Trident TGUI-9680 2MB PCI card and a Voodoo2 12mb 3D PCI card. I downloaded the drivers online. Well, before I installed them, I learned that AGP cards are better to use if you have the slot, so I bought a new KyroII Apollo AGP card w/64mb.
    Now here comes the trouble. I disconnected the power and attempted to install the new AGP card. The KyroII would not fit into the slot because of the way it was made- the front of the card where the VGA connector is located was being blocked by the on-board vga connector and I couldn't push the card fully down into the AGP slots because of this obstruction. Well, I decided that instead of sending the KyroII back and trying another card, that I was just going to remove the on-board VGA connector from the motherboard in order to make room for the new card!! So I pulled it off the board carefully and it didn't seem to damage anything. Now I had room to install the KyroII, so I plugged it in and connected the monitor cable. The monitor had been flashing a message about being disconnected, but now that it was connected to the KyroII, it made a little power up sound and the message was gone. So I powered on the computer, but the monitor would not display anything. So what I did next was to leave the KyroII in, but also plug in the Trident PCI card. I connected the monitor cable to the PCI card and rebooted, and this time the monitor was displaying- I was prompted to go to the Setup Menu where I confirmed that the new display controller was the Trident 9680. I exited setup, and the computer installed the drivers for the PCI card and I used this chance to put in the KyroII CD and install those drivers. In Device Drivers menu, the KyroII was listed and was reported "device functioning properly", but I couldn't figure out a way to switch the main Display controll from the Trident PCI to the KyroII AGP. When I plugged the monitor into the KyroII, there was no display. So I took out the PCI card, but still nothing on monitor. I rebooted like this, still no display from AGP card. Put PCI card back in & connected to that & rebooted to Setup Menu, where I went to Video properties and tried to find an option to change from Trident 9680 to KyroII, but the name of the card was not highlighted & could not be toggled. The option that showed PCI could be switched to AGP, so I did that. Then I rebooted. Still no display through AGP.
    And now I cannot get a display to my monitor either from the 9680 PCI card, or from the KyroII (which I have not yet been able to get a display from under any circumstances). So that's where I am.
    The PCI card was working and I had a display until I hit F1 during boot and in the Setup menu, changed the PCI setting in Display to AGP. The objective, of course, is to get the KyroII AGP card working, but I can't try anything else now, becase I cannot see anything on my monitor.
    I was told to go into BIOS and change primary display to AGP, but how can I edit my bios without being able to see anything on my monitor??
    I wanted to check here for help, otherwise you know it's a couple hundred at the repair shop.
    Well, thanks again!!