MSI Afterburner not in the start menu after being installed.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Kol12, May 10, 2017.

1. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3080 OC
    I'm running a clean installation of Win 10 1703. I installed MSI AB from the administrator account but it doesn't appear in the start menu of my standard account where I usually run it from.

It opens from the program folder of the standard account but RTSS doesn't open with it.

Not sure what's wrong here...

2. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3080 OC
    I thought this appeared to be common with apps following the Microsoft Creators update ver 1703 but possibly insted Afterburner has changed to only put start menu shortcuts for the current user rather than all users?

This should help:

Some installers choose to put shortcuts on the current user's Start menu, some on the All Users Start menu and some give a choice. Looks like Afterburner's install defaults to the current user only.

There are actually two Start menus and what you see is a combination of both.

All Users: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Current User: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Log in as the administrator account and look for which one Afterburner has used. The easiest way to do that is to right-click on it in the Start menu and select More > Open file location. If it's the current user you can copy the folder and shortcuts to the All Users Start menu yourself.

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10