XFX Radeon HD 6950 Overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by RayGunKid, Sep 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RayGunKid

RayGunKid Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    I've had this graphics card for about 18 months and it has worked perfectly up until now. Now it is overheating really badly getting up to temperatures of about 105 degrees after a couple minutes of playing games I have always played perfectly fine up til now. I have cleaned it recently and it is on default settings. I did see another post like this but it wasn't much help. I don't know what other information may be needed so please ask me for anything that may help.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    How did you clean it, compressed air?

Can you check if the fan is spinning?

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Check the fan RPM with GPU-Z, and visually inspect if all of them work. If they do, most likely you simply need to reseat the cooler, clean the old thermal paste out and put new one. Make sure it's not an electrically conductive one and you'll be just fine.

4. RayGunKid

RayGunKid Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    Yup fans busted. Never considered that. The fan is hard to see while its in my computer. Thank you.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Is your card a reference card or a custom cooler?

Here is a reference blower type replacement fan should be OEM.

I would still re-apply the thermal paste while I was at it just to be safe. Use something like GC Extreme.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    You might of blown dust into the fan bearing. I use a product called Deoxit. http://www.caig.com/. I have used it for everything from computer fans, connectors....to audio equipment pots and even a Ferrari fuel gauge that was stuck.

Stuff is magical

7. RayGunKid

RayGunKid Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    I FIXED IT! Idk how but i went in and did some more major cleaning as a last ditch effort and the fan is working again. I want to thank you guys for the help threw this. I'm going to keep an eye on it but it sounds like a dream now. Before it was making some vibrating sound at high speed but now its not even at 100%. Thanks for the help.