Windows 10 killed one of my TitanX?, help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Future777, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    My System: Intel 3930K, 2x Titan X (EVGA,ASUS), Asus P9X79 Deluxe Mainboard.

I've been enjoying Witcher 3 on Windows 7 with my Titan x SLI System but now one card seems to be broken!
    I upgraded to Windows 10, Witcher 3 crashed 2 times so I decided to revert back to Windows 7.

Back in Windows 7 I wasn't able to re-activate SLI. The option was suddenly missing! After rebooting Windows 7, I got a black screen as soon as Windows 7 was loaded.

I tried this:
    - Launched Win7 in safe mode and used Driver Uninstaller
    - Windows works now with standard graphics drivers

BUT: Only one card shows an image at all. The other card/ Device Manager says: Device couldn't be started, Code 10. It's got an exclamation mark next to it. The other one shows up normally.

When I reinstall latest Nvidia drivers now and restart the system I get black screen in Windows again .(crash?)
    Only way to make the PC even show a picture in Windows is when I deactivate the other card in device manager - the one which had the exclamation mark next to it.

GPU-Z shows both cards but the ASUS shows incomplete data (no clock speed info or bios version)
    When I use NVFlash --check it gives me normal information. Then, after having used Nvflash once, GPu-Z gives me correct information about the card, until my next reboot.

Is one of my Titan X broken? :bang:

I can't exchange PCI slots easily because the system is water cooled. Any advice ? Heelp

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Clean install of W7 or W10?

3. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    No Clean install...is that a real chance ?
    I noticed that the other card doesn't even give picture during boot up (while in DOS).

4. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I'd give it a go if you have a spare hdd lying around, then you can save your data and rule it out should it be the case.

5. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    Thanks - Ok I'll look for a HDD to test it then..any more ideas ?

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It may be your chipset drivers. They could have corrupted during the W10 upgrade. I would start with a fresh install of W7 or 10 first as that will answer the chipset question as well

Being as your under water the other step would be swapping the cards but that would be a PITA for you.

7. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    can you change the position of the cards from slots 1/3 to 1/2 or from slot 1/2 to 1/3 and come back saying if that did it ?

8. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    Changing the slots would be the last thing to do because I'd need to remove the water first - it's PITA as loophole says. I'll try everything else first - ideas welcome.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Clean install of the os and it should be fixed...

10. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    chipset drivers/clean install seems like the best bet then , I'll do that first thing tomorrow

11. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    it did it for me after 2hrs stressing my ...

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I feel your pain, i had an SLI setup with a DOA GPU in it and it wasn't until i was up in windows trying to enabled SLI (and windows crashing every time off the bat) I realised i had an issue.

So yeah, try a clean build and see if it works, if so might be worth going through all of your drivers and either updating them (possibly a bios update for mobo too while you're at it if you haven't already) or removing them as best you can, cleaning the registry (Ccleaner ftw) and then reinstalling.

Could be possible it's a software bug in there somewhere but i really wouldn't rule out the GPU actually being dead as ****ty as it sounds it does happen unfortunately. Oh and out of interest do you have any other PCI/PCI-E cards in there that you could remove or disable for testing (sound card or capture card for instance)?

13. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    yes, had to go thru all that inquiery & regisstry cleaning but no succes.
    But i can tell you my "faulty" gpu is up and working, believe me i too care about them :)

feed back needed

14. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Im sure but when you have SLI cards in a water loop you'll understand the hesitation to rip it all apart and change the slot as it's not like swapping out an air cooled card. Which is why we're recommending to try as much before he has to drain a loop, disassemble sli blocks, plumb, refill and bleed a loop. Having done the above a few times it's not the best and is very time consuming. Hell if all else fails that's going to be done but like pulling an engine out of a car it's more of a final resort than a first stop :nerd:.

15. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    Thanks. I'm still hoping the GPU isn't dead..will see tomorrow.
    There's no other card using a PCI-E slot.

General Question: When 2 graphics cards are installed - should each of them output video while booting ? I tried first with one, then the other and only one card has a signal. Since boot up process in DOS environment has no Windows driver/registry problem - is this an indicator to a dead card?

16. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    yes, yes i do understand the hassle.
    What ever pitstop is needed to see that such a card is still working... I defenetly hope Future777 hasn't got to go thru this.

I'm on air on both gpus... but cpu under water, for ages. cleaning and stuff becomes a routine and for a better cooling so no hesitation ! as for saving a GPU well

i clearly hope your gpu didn't past away poeticly said.

i'm on surround 3x1200p all displays on one gpu, thats my working setup

Hoping for the best

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Only one of the cards should show a video signal as far as I can recall (tested with my 7970s). I'll try tomorrow.

18. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    Thanks, that's good to know!

19. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Make sure to select "load optimized defaults" and reboot, before doing the fresh install of Win7.Error code 10 - The device cannot start, I get on gpu2 every time I uninstall drivers and reboot, I doubt your card is dead.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  20. Future777

Future777 Guest

GPU:
    Titan X Sli
    Unfortunatly a clean install didn't help, I also updated Mainboard Bios and Chipset Drivers. Thanks anyways.