Eyefinity/Surround - 680 4gb / 7970 3gb?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dove09, Feb 5, 2013.

?

680 4GB or 7970 3GB for Skyrim & ESO online eventually in Eyefinity / Surround

1. 680 4gb

61.5%
  2. 7970 3gb

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dove09

Dove09 Guest

GPU:
    n/a
    Hi all,

Ok so I'm building my new comp in about 8 weeks. I have picked everything I want with the exception of GC since I cant seem to find any good evidence on why I should absolutely go for Eyefinity or Suround. I do plan to be gaming eventually with 3 monitors. I will be playing mostly: Tera Online, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online, and would like to try Far Cry. And YES.. I want the best graphics I can. I realize that Ram is only part of the factor but I do know that Skyrim is more ram demanding than any other game and with all the crazy mods I plan to add I'm sure I'll need it, I have seen ppl say they used all of their 3gb dedicated memory. I dont think I'll need 4gb, but hey i am chick & we all chicks have addictions so i might :) I don't want to run out. I'm contemplating either the GTX680 4GB or the 7970 3GB. The price diff is great between the two but if anyone has insight as to eyefinity or surround being better than the other that might help me choose too.

Here's the rest of my specs and I will be overclocking

Cooler Master Haf 922
    i5-3570k oc
    Liquid Cool Push / Pull
    8gb DDR3 1600
    ASRock Z77 Extream 6 (maybe)
    60 GB SSD
    2 x 1 TB HD's

Im prefering win7 pro on new build but i dont mind win8 that much since my other 2 have it now.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're not building for two months you might as well wait and see what's happening with the new GPU lineup.

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    would do the poll in 7 weeks if you need parts in 8 weeks

4. Dove09

Dove09 Guest

GPU:
    n/a
    Thanks guys,

I'm just not sure I will want to spend the money that the new ones will cost when they come out if they come out soon. I can't imagine they will be cheap when they first hit the market

5. Dove09

Dove09 Guest

GPU:
    n/a
    k thanks

6. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Even if the new cards aren't cheap the old ones might see a price drop.

Get faster than 1600mhz ram for your system. With current prices its worth it.

For what it's worth I've had a fair amount of issues running anything in eyefinity with 2-4 7970s. Stuttering/vsync only working on certain portions of the screen. I gave up trying to get 3x120hz screen to work properly in eyefinity. No problems with a single card. No problem with multiple cards in crossfire on a single screen. I haven't had any experience with the 600 series cards so can't comment on nvidia. Ill possibly be moving back to nvidia come Titan/700 series depending on VRAM/performance in uber high res.

If your using crossfire with AMD you need all monitors plugged into the first card so unless you buy something like the Asus dcu2 and use display port monitors you'll need to mess with display port to dvi adapters... Not particularly fun

Using a HD texture pack I got from nexus I can use 3gig ram in 1080p playing Skyrim... Most games are fine triple screen though. Standard console ports hardly use more than 1-1.5gig.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Skyrim runs like $hite in crossfire, dunno about SLI, other than that i find eyefinity to be quite good. Cant comment on Nvidia as i dont have that setup now.
    Its difficult to recommend one over the other and theres not much difference, maybe Nvidia has the edge with Physix but so few games use it.

On the AMD/ATI cards needing 2xDVI's and 1 active adapter, not true, Sapphires Flex cards dont need an adapter.

On a seperate note, youll be doing well to get 3 1080p screens playing at decent framerates on just 1 single 680 or 7970. I game at 5040x1050 and my 2 6970's are ok for most games but do struggle on a few like BF3, Skyrim as i mentioned. GTA IV( but that runs like crap regardless )

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013