Linus Torvalds : "NVIDIA, F*CK YOU!"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by k1net1cs, Jun 17, 2012.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Linus Torvalds : "NVIDIA has been the single worst company we have ever dealt with."

While I do have some respect towards him in some other aspects, this is the one where I think he's crossing the line in regards of his ideals.
    He actually feels it's fine for something being badly coded as long as there's an open source version released by manufacturers for it (which apparently has never helped AMD nor VIA improving their Linux drivers).

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He should be grateful they even bother making linux drivers.

3. Sinaster

Sinaster Guest

GPU:
    1 GB GT 240 641/1682/4050
    lollllllllllll :D
    Linus is a true pioneer in this business and i really love him.But linux is not a flawless OS.Thats y i switched to Windows again.

4. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    And windows is flawless?

5. Sinaster

Sinaster Guest

GPU:
    1 GB GT 240 641/1682/4050
    For the hardcore gamers i say yes. :)

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    my thoughts exactly

7. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    well,the guy speaks his mind.
    but to some extent ,as a normal Linux user,i can openly say that i rather have a nvidia card under Linux than an AMD one.
    Maybe at a developer level,indeed they are a pain in the back,but to common user,it has established a good relation.

9. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    I really don't understand... has he even tried using an AMD card in Linux? I have and it was an immensely painful process in comparison. You can't expect that every company agrees with the Open Source mentality that Linux was founded on, should they be forced off the platform entirely because of that?

10. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    He is Linus Torvalds, you'd have an easier time making a list of the thing he doesn't knows about linux rather than asking him what he knows.

Besides, if we settled with the whole "you should be grateful" thing, we woulnt have drivers at all. We'd be stuck with a "you should be grateful that you can change your graphics card!" of the 90s.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    maybe at a low hardware level Nvidia is trolling open source world.
    he pointed at Nvidia trying to selling more Tegra products for Android,but he didn't went into details.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem isn't the process, it's the support. AMD provides tons of support for the Linux driver platform. All their stuff is open for the community to take and fix themselves. Nvidia is essentially the opposite. Not only do they not support their own products (optimus is horrible on linux) but they don't even document their own driver changes and stuff, so the community basically stuck in the dark. What makes it worse is that Nvidia basically says they don't give a ****, while AMD is actually improving over time.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yea, fu*k Nvidia. How dare they not make drivers that work for everything.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Again, he and the entire linux community isn't asking Nvidia to make anything. They just want the documentation behind their driver development. So at the very least they can build their own drivers for Nvidia's hardware. Nvidia isn't evne doing this.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Dude, I was being sarcastic. :nerd:

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I know - but it's like nvidia doesn't even need to do anything to appease the entire community and they still fail to do it. I mean I really don't care as I don't have an tegra phone or Nvidia laptop with linux on it or anything. But in the future I might, and if Windows 8/metro is the future I kind of hope that Linux gaming takes off a bit so at least I can decide to switch off Windows.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Fairly immature comments coming from a grown adult.

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Open-sourcing their driver's source code is still something, not nothing.

While not open-sourcing their drivers won't appease some of the community (not really the entire community, unless that 'community' excludes regular Linux users), it goes without saying they do still provide support for their Linux drivers, more than AMD will ever be (since they rely on the open source community to fix whatever's broken; go figure).

Sure, Nvidia could've stopped being a d!ck and open source their driver's source code, but as a regular Linux user I've never found problems with their current way of handling driver development on Linux, so...whichever rocks your boat, I guess.
    And they do document the changes on their driver's site.

Has anyone seen the whole video yet?
    It was good, up until his borderline immature act about Nvidia near the end.

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    That's one succesful way to grab the attention, unfortunately. trololololloululzulzlzulz :invasion:
    :bunch:

Until you get banned of course >.>

20. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    he is a man who likes to express opinions. people who like to express their opinions also like to be heard, and he's doing it right because look - it worked.