ATTN: Nvidia Rep

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by whitespider, Oct 21, 2014.

1. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    I saw a few people related to nivida floating around here, I have some questions that have been bugging me for the past few driver releases, if you could shed some light - that would be much appreciated.

1. Nvidia Inspector Reports "Enable Maxwell Sample Interleaving"

Is this active? Or is it a placeholder? There are conflicting stories, some users report that it works, although it's subtle, others beleive it's not quite functional yet. Is it something that functions?

2. A previous driver had the nvidia inspector option "Enable High Quality Upscaling"

Is this something that has been implemented? Being planned on being implemented? It was added and then removed. I always thought that we needed higher quality upscaling when running lower resolutions, if this is something planned, or implemented, or even cancelled, can you let us know?

3. DSR and 5xx/4xx (fermi) and (6xx/7xx) kelper performance.

Right now people running maxwell chips are reporting a small performance hit when using dsr, whereas owners of the older gpu's in the hacked laptop drivers are reporting large performance hits that go far beyond the alternative gedosato. Is there something about maxwell that makes it more equipped to handle dsr? Or is it just because we are using a hacked laptop driver .

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    PRobably be better if you asked this at the nvidia forums

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Even if you asked there. Good luck getting an answer.

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I'm not up to date on this Maxwell vs kepler performance hit when using DSR, what exactly impacts kepler more? The smoothness level? or the downscaling itself?

Testing Ryse using regular custom res Downscaling 1440p and DSR 1440p and the performance hit was only 1 fps when using DSR. Smoothness doesn't seem to affect performance although it definitely affected IQ.

5. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    All I can tell u is that I`ve enabled this function on inspector in bf4 and it` is working...I dunno about other games.

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I havent seen anyone else complain about DSR giving an extra performance hit vs normal downsampling, other than Whitespider.

For me its an extra hit of about 1-3% using DSR (when compared against regular downsampling).

Doesn't do anything for me at all in BF4.

In Watchdogs it creates an area of image distortion (blur) that sits a few feet in front of the player and follow you around.

What settings are you using to enable it ?
    I set ingame MSAA to x4 in both games then just activated MFAA in the control panel for each profile.

Did I do something wrong ?

7. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    In BF4 I just disabled the MSAA in game and in inspector :
    [​IMG]

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    ahhhhh, i didnt set the Overide/Enhance setting at all.

Will give that a try, cheers

edit: yup got it working now in BF4, needed to set enhance or overide in inspector !!

First inpressions of MFAA were that is is terrible, but I was taking screenshots with Radeonpro.
    MFAA looks worse in screenshots, as due to the way it works you only see half if its effect in a screenshot.

You have to base your judgement on it in real time.

It does work as described, im now running ingame x2 MSAA with MFAA on and gettting the same if not slightly better IQ than ingame x4 MSAA.....for the hit of only x2MSAA.
    This perfomance increase has enabled me to up the resolution scale to 150% (previoiusly was running at 125%)

Thank you nVidia.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Yeah, not really a way to go. imagine if we all started our own Attention nvidia rep thread.

+ nv inspector is a third party tool.

10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

BF4 already has this basically built in to the game... Resolution Scaling is doing the same thing. I usually have it at 135% personally.

I haven't tried DSR though I can't get the new beta drivers to install.

11. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    OMG.

He's talking about MFAA (not DSR)

And to install the 344.24's you need to disable driver enforcement if on Win 8/8.1
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4933498&postcount=127

12. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I got artifacting in Explorer using 344.24.

However, I really want to know what dynamic tiling was.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Can you not run it in windowed mode and press ALT+Print Screen like you have to do for FXAA?

14. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    To see the benefit of the MFAA u need to disable all the MSAA in BF4 !
    U don`t need to set un MSAA in game to 2x,just disable it!
    Btw,I see u are using a AOC G-sync monitor,how is it?I know that they use the same panel like the VG248QE.

15. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    No.I tried it and tested for along time.

For me MFAA by itself is quite poor, worse than ingame x4MSAA.

Its much better when combined with ingame MSAA imo, like it was desinged for ;)

Oh the AOC monitor is really good thanks, love it.

Hmm dunno, I reckon you only capture half of the effect with a screenshot as it blends frames together to create the effect (hence its name Multi-frame AA)
    Plus I was using radeonpro to take my screenshots which capture SMAA & FXAA anyway, so that wasn't the problem.

Im not fussed about capturing it in a screenshot anyway, you can see the MFAA is working in realtime.
    I just wanted to get some examples to show you guys thats all.

But you can try it.

Set Inspector to enhance aa, set MFAA on, and then have a play.
    You will find that MFAA with MSAAx2 ingame is like MSAAx4 quality for the hit of only x2.

16. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I was referring to driver forced FXAA, the only way to make driver forced FXAA show up is by running the game in a window and pressing ALT+Print Screen.

Quote by NVIDIA:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-301.24-beta-drivers-released

I presume it shows up with Radeon Pro because it's Radeon Pro that's applying the FXAA and not the driver.

Some comparisons (Fullscreen pictures taken with Afterburner)

FXAA On (Fullscreen)
    FXAA Off (Fullscreen)

As you can see there is no difference but if you run it in a window and use ALT+Print Screen you can see the FXAA being applied.

FXAA On (Window)

I will give it a go but I have a 580 so I doubt it will work.

17. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Yeah you guys are right it's probably not the way to go, but at least I got some feedback right? And someone made the suggestion to force MFAA by override enhance, so i've been messing around with that.

Although I'm still finding it really hard to tell if it's enabled, dx9/dx11/ogl games tested. I can't figure out if it's placebo or not.

18. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Try it in BF4, that's if you have it of course. According to "pbvider" you don't need the in game MSAA enabled, so you should be able to tell the difference between No AA and what looks like 4xMSAA.

19. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    (regarding latest laptop drivers)

When you enable MFAA in dx11 games using override or enhance, there is a small blue rectangle to the left top side of the screen. I believe that's telling us it's enabled. Which means only dx11 games are supported at the moment.

My DSR performance using a gtx 670 seems improved also.