Just joined F@H with my Brethren!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Psychlone, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Hey guys...I just joined the good fight with you all...

I'm not up on all this new stuff, but I'll tell you what I've got going right now.

I've downloaded and installed the GPU systray 620r1 as well as the x86 systray 620 and have them both plugging away as we speak.

I've completed 3 work units in the last several hours, but I'm wondering if running the GPU is a good thing or not - I mean, I know it's a good cause, but monitoring my VDDC temps, Slave2 is hitting 116*C on a regular basis...and we all know that won't last for long.
    Seems a pity to have all this raw power going to waste just because of temps - is there another client or other software that I should install instead?

Please do let me know before this thing goes POP!
    Also, are there any client parameters that I should be running with either of these clients?

Psychlone

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Have you tried running the SMP Client?

Those temperatures are with in safe ranges, but are none-the-less. I spose you could back down on the gpu client or find some alternative cooling..

3. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Lo Psychlone and all other folders :) i have been folding with my 4870X2 as well but my temps do not go above 60C because i use Rivatuner to control the fan speed at 100%...116C sounds dangerously high to me!

Or Install Catalyst 8.10 which came out today and now has fan speed controls in there..although i havent tried it yet! :nerd:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for that Overclocked76, but I've turned up the fan to as high as it's going to go - 45% (any higher and you know it's too noisy to be around very long!) - the temps that I was concerned about, the VDDC Slaves, dropped down to ~100*C.
    Keep in mind that my GPUs haven't reached 60*C EVER. I'm the one that did the Profile Fan Control and Overclocking How To in the ATi section...I wasn't talking about the GPUs themselves because they've been under control since the day I got the card and tore it apart (before I even put it in the system!) - The VDDC chips, the long, narrow chips under the HS/f assembly are what I'm talking about - and they do get HOTT! Although, under normal gaming, they don't get as hot as I've seen them get with Folding...

Maybe I'll try out the console version of the GPU client just to see how that works...I've already ranked up to 545th overnight and churned out only 7 work units - this is kinda fun! Besides the real help that it's doing!!

Anyway, thanks for the input and I'll be checking back in later on to see if anyone has other input.

Psychlone

5. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Oh ok ! so what program do u use to detect the temps of the vddc slaves out of curiosity??

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GPUz shows everything that you'll need to know.

I'm now trying the system tray AND the text version of the GPU client at the same time - it's looking like they're both at about the same speed, but I'm pretty sure that they're only using one GPU...
    I don't know the command line parameters to input to change which GPU each is using - any help here?

So, I'm currently running 3 clients on my machine as we speak. My CPU hasn't gone above 47*C and the one GPU that the 2 GPU clients are using hasn't gone above 50*C yet, with the VDDC slaves all at close to 100*C...so everything looks like it's working properly, I just have no idea if this is what to expect or if there's any tweaks to make this more efficient.

Please reply with some input guys!

Psychlone

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Theres no extra tweaks other than make sure drivers are upto date (very important on ATI rigs).

I suggest you watch your PPD with FahMon if you havent already.

8. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    lo psychlone, tried GPUz and my VDDC dosent seem 2 go above 66C..and the 1 GPU core is at 100% the other at 5-6%..does any one know if this is normal for the 4870x2's or can i utilise the other core as well?

9. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Wow, 2 GPU clients. How good is your aftermarket cooler...? I hope you have one, and if you have any overclocking on the GPU you might want to disable it. 116C is very hot, my 4850 is voltmodded at never goes above 60C.

This is the best way to see your folding stats:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
    Put in your username and you get graphs, charts, a bunch of nice stuff.

I'm on the MaximumPC team going about 3100 ppd.

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'll figure it out...I've been reading quite a bit and it seems like it's getting more than possible to have 2 GPU clients running on separate cores, but as of now, they're both running on a single core (hence the high VDDC slave temps for that core)

Aftermarket cooler? Nah...I tore my 4870X2 apart the day I received it - before I even put it into my computer - and replaced all the thermal compound with AS5 (MX2 now) and did some other mods...this card idles at ~34*C and has never even seen 60*C under full load. I assume the VDDC temps are high because I'm ripping through 2 GPU clients on the same core.

Anyone with further input, please do chime in!! I'm into this now!

Psychlone

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=385780

11. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Psychlone... I used to do F@H on a 3870X2 on one GPU. It was doable, because the 3870X2 does not get as hot as the 4870X2. I've tried the 4870X2, but it really gets way too hot. And doing two GPUs will be like running FurMark on two cores at full load full time.

BTW: Have you tested FurMark at full load? I remember a score of you in the 4870X2 Owner's Club thread. When I figured out how to run FurMark properly I could beat that score with a slower clocked CPU. That means that you didn't run it at full load. So, please try the following, because it will give an idea how hot your 4870X2 will become under full load when doing F@H.

First set your fan speed to at least 67%. I think 75% will be safe. Then rename the FurMark executable to etqw.exe (the executable of the OpenGL game Enemy Territories: Quake Wars - which is optimized to use both GPUs). Run 2 instances of GPU-Z for each GPU and log the results. Then start the renamed FurMark executable for at least 5 minutes. You'll notice that your logged temperatures will hit the roof. That is exactly what F@H is going to do. Because of that I think it is not wise to use your card 24/7 to do folding.

If you still want to do it then underclock your card.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008