Rumor: Resident Evil 2 remake

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by (.)(.), Jan 25, 2015.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/70137/20150123/resident-evil-2-hd-remake.htm
    Brillant!

Videos of fan RE2 remake are in the link.

2. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    To be honest I'd only like to see capcom do a remake of 2 if they used the same director from the original re2 "Hideki Kamiya". And if it was treated with the same care as REmake then f yeh, make it so!

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    From an interview i watched with the lead Dev of the recent REmake, he said that if they were to do re2, it would be done from the ground up.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If that worked out we might even see a remake of 3, which was my favourite game in the series. Good news if true imo.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    good thing they included the should angle cam

the classic cam should stay in the past

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I don't agree in the slightest, and I wouldn't play a Resident Evil title with a shoulder cam if I had the classic option. The old style camera added a lot to the feel of the game and the tension.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    sorry but you're wrong

8. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Yeh, I would not wan't an over shoulder cam if they remade 2.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I havent played RE4, but 5, 6 and Revelations I have. 5 was a great game, more action thriller than survival horror and certainly doesnt live up to the Resident Evil of old. Though 6 and Rev are some of the worst games I have ever played (while also being some of the best optimized - go figure).

Admittedly the should cam had nothing to do with 5, 6, Rev being non RE, it was more the fact that the gameplay itself was lacking. Though, when I think about it, almost every thirdperson game I've played besides the MGS and SC series has been avg at best. I just think there is something lacking in the way thirdperson is being used.

I think Capcom has the resources to do both for both fan groups. Have Revelations 2 3 and so on, carry on the over the shoulder action shooter style and then another team (the real team) bring back the proper resident evil.

I never finished 5 but it was a decent game. Might carry on with it after I finish RE:Rerelease.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I can't see Capcom ruining RE2 with the over the shoulder cam. It's fine for a fan made project but not a re-release of one of their most popular games. It would totally ruin the gameplay and atmosphere the original game had.

11. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    RE4 and 5 are very well made games and I enjoyed them both for what they were but not the Resident Evil I once knew and loved. Admittedly some of what made re great in the first place were partly down to the limitations of the hardware at the time.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The reason why res evil had the over the shoulder cam starting with res 4 is because the old classic cam pioneered by the original alone in the dark (you seen it here first) became stale and boring. Look at how many res evils there were before res 4 which had the classic cam, ive lost count hence boring and stale....hello new over the shoulder cam.

Now the over the shoulder cam has become stale and boring, so Capcom will make a new res with both camera types. What they do after afew iterations of this I dont know. Churn out the same or reinvent the genre like they did with res 4. Maybe bring in occulus rift would be the next pioneering move for res evil franchise once they've milked it abit more.

13. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    typical capcom making remakes to milk everyone, lol

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    ummm... there are more resident evil games using the over the shoulder cam.

15. Vectored

Vectored Guest

GPU:
    gtx770 FTW 4Gb
    first-person view = hope so

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hope not.

If the Gun Survivor series taught anyone anything... it's that RE should stay in third person.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Resi 0, 1, 2, 3 all had the static camera, which was only used to due to a limitation within the hardware at those times as the games used pre rendered backgrounds (basically hi res pictures) and an advanced z-buffer which told the engine how far and deep into these pictures to draw the character models and items. This was also why they used the infamous doors as loading screens so the hardware could flush out its memory from the previous background and load in a new background. This is also why some doors open slower than others as some backgrounds were of higher detail and bigger than others.

It just so happens that this led to the slow pace of the games, which created added tension and suspense.

As hardware progressed you could see the games getting more advanced. Take into account Code Veronica first on the Dreamcast which was an exclusive at the time for that console (later ported to GC and PS2 due to poor DC sales). Code Veronica was the first game to use fully 3D environments and a panning/moving camera angle thanks to much faster hardware. They kept the door loading scenes in to keep tension and suspense up but mainly still because the hardware was limited and this was the first time they had 3D environments and they were using all the available memory the Dreamcast had for more or less each room/area so the door loading was still needed.

When it comes to the GC remake of Resi 1 and its prequel 0. They were experimenting with an over the shoulder style camera angle. But this would of the let to them not only remaking the original game but totally revamping the areas of the mansion and the game would of taken A LOT longer to develop. When Nintendo saw how detailed CAPCOM could make the prerendered backgrounds working off the same camera angles from the PS1 game they jumped straight on it as the backgrounds were so life like and realistic it was too good to pass up on.

The GC having basically 2 processors capable of doing GPU calculations (gekko chip from IBM could handle a lot of particle effects and the flipper chip from ATi could handle over 12 million polygons per second) CAPCOM and Nintendo decided to use this hardware to their advantage. Using the gekko chip (CPU) to handle the backgrounds and the z-buffer for each scene this freed up the flipper chip (GPU) to go full force onto the character models and items including movable objects in a scene such as boxes, etc. This also allowed them to use more of the GPU for some of the most advanced lighting techniques ever used up until this time which is why when the game was first shown at a Nintendo conference people's jaws literally hit the floor. No one had seen such graphics before and Resident Evil was the perfect game to use as it could look like a movie as there was no health bar or HUD on the actual screen it self.

The deal with Nintendo and CAPCOM led to Resi 1 and 0 being made from the ground up, they then released ports of 2, 3, and CV on the system too.

Then came the deal of the CAPCOM FIVE. Where CAPCOM would release 5 brand new IP's for the console as its third party support was shrinking fast thanks to the PS2 dominating the market mainly thanks to the GTA games.

These five games were,

Viewtiful Joe (later ported to PS2),
    Product No.3,
    Dead Phoenix (later cancelled),
    Killer 7 (later ported to PS2),
    and of course Resident Evil 4 (later ported to PS2),

The first iteration of Resident Evil 4 was more in tone with the old Resident Evil style. A lone hero (this time Leon) in a large building (this time a castle) and this time the enemies were more in tune with ghosts than zombies and a large cloud-like fog that followed Leon around.

This concept although widely shown was totally scrapped and reworked (much like Resident Evil 2 was literally 80% finished and they started again from scratch). It was reworked in what we know now as Resident Evil 4 and included enemies more in tune with zombies, a larger scale, full 3d environments and it was this time built upon basically the same engine as Devil May Cry (which was also meant to be a Resident Evil game). Don't believe me go through a door in both DMC and Resi4.... see ;)

The static camera to me was without a doubt the best, it was what Resi was famous for. It was what the fans loved. Sure Resi 4 was great and a nice change of formula. But it had far too much action, nowhere near as scary, and also this for me and many other fans was where the series story too a MASSIVE turn and became far too complicated and had far too many plot holes. The original 4 games (0 included) were so tightly wrapped together they just worked, they intertwined into each other. They were complex but they made sense.

Now with Resi 5, 6, Raccoon City, etc the story has been totally blown out of proportion, it just doesn't work anymore.

18. Dode

Dode Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4650HD 1GB
    Isn't this even useless? It's just too old and someone talked about DmC... It looks like a different game when we look at DMC3 and DMC4, so I m not just hating, but in my opinion many players just will be mad ^^

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You mean new players who never experienced the original Resident Evil games and only know the garbage games of recent years.

Honestly this game probably won't sell well which is a shame because its a fantastic game. But games these days hold your hand too much. There are too many puzzles and back tracking in the old Resident Evil games that will turn a lot of people off.

Not me though. I love the games.

20. chuuey

chuuey Guest

I would kill for a ground-up re-MAKE of RE2 - fantastic game.