7950 - Not enough power or drivers or dud?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Curt217217, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Curt217217

Curt217217 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ult
    Hey all,

Just recieved my XFX 7950 DD Black edition card and what a beast!

Wiped my drivers, removed my previous 4870 and did a sweep with driver sweeper 3.2. Installed the new 7950 and booted into windows, installed the drivers, rebooted and all seemed fine. Scaled up my screen in the scaling options (1080p HDMI) and the card gave a few artifact jitters between 5 - 0% which I thought was odd. Directly after launching any window the card locks up and displays either a block colour, block black colour or many many vertical lines prompting a hard reset.

I have reinstalled the card once already to no avail and I wonder if being lazy this once and not reinstalling windows is the problem or its my power supply.

I currently have a CoolerMaster M620 - a 620w modular supply that was adequate for my 4870 / 955 x4 at 3.6GHz for the past 2 years - the 7950 has lower wattage requirements if im correct so im stumped if this is the issue - either that or the card is DOA which will be a killer as scan delayed my order since the 31st of january!

Anyway ill read the replies on sunday as im away but any advice would be sound. Cheers - Curt.

2. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    it can be the output port that had problem which one did you use?

3. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
  4. Curt217217

Curt217217 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ult
    Yeah both plugs are in fine, the GPU is powered up alright - its not so much as loading issue that causes a crash, I dont even get that far before it goes.

Ill try DX out as I diddnt think of that...

I used HDMI, ill see if I can find a DVI and try that out - its a good point to make but it makes no difference if IU unplug and replug the HDMI.

Edit:

Think I may have fixed it - the GPU wasnt sitting in the PCI-E slot properly due to a poor/good design decision on XFX's part - the quick PCI clips on my Collermaster CM690 dont clip the card down properly because the way its manufactured there is a solid bit of metal in the way of stopping the clips locking down by around 2mm.

Its not easy to see at first but after giving the power cables a tug I noticed the card was stupidly lose. I have replaced the clips with good old screws and also swapped the HDMi cable as the PCI plate on the case stopped my last one going in a voila. Solid as a rock!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012