Boost Voltage (VCore) Changing

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by |XTerk-RS|, Jul 20, 2013.

1. |XTerk-RS|

|XTerk-RS| Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 6700XT
    Hi Guru3D people, and thanks to Alexey for his intense work in AB.

I don't pretend to be that kind of lazy user asking things that were already answered in the forum but, I was searching and I didn't find what I was looking for. If there's an answer, please if you don't mind post the reference link to read it. So because of the previously exposed, I'm posting this.

I wanted to know If there's a possibility of changing the voltage in Boost BIOS of 7950 cards using AB, because when the card activates Boost the VCore is set to v1.250 and there's no way to set any lower value for it to use. AB just set the voltage for the stock side. Ej: My 7950 has 850@1.125 and boosts 925@1.250. If I change VCore with AB it only affects the voltage applied when 850Mhz is used by the card, otherwise when it uses the boost clocks it also uses the boost voltages (which is almost all time) when playing games.

Any attempt to OC my card and set any voltage I want, the card will always set vcore to v1.250 unless I surpass that vcore limit (I suppose the card will set higher voltages), although I didn't want to try with that high voltage to verify it but, what I do know is that any frequency set over 925Mhz (boost's default) is used like the boost one. In conclusion, any setting higher than 925Mhz for OCing will set v1.250 unless the voltage I'm setting is higher.
    Finally what I decided to use is the "Force constant voltage" option so my card always use the voltage I set to my OC, saving some extra VCore that I don't need. In 3D the OC frequencies will be permanent (as I set powertune in +20 it will always use Boost), and 2D will remain 300/150 as expected.
    After all that confusing explanation, I will ask:

Is there any possibility in AB to add some feature for it to detect and set the Boost VCore instead of the stock one without using the "Force Constant Voltage" option, so the card card could change voltage dynamically between 2D and 3D clocks? or is it something limited by the BIOS and cannot be altered?
    I know that kind of stuff is not like "pressing a button", programming is not that way.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why are you adjusting voltage with AB if you aren't overclocking?

Constant voltage kills AMD Power Play which means vgpu does not rise and fall dynamically with clock speed. Instead there is 1 fixed 3D voltage and 1 fixed 2D voltage.

I don't know why constant voltage must be used but it seems it's the only way to adjust 79xx vgpu.

Maybe unwinder can answer that question, my guess is it's to do with ADL or AMD's drivers.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  3. |XTerk-RS|

|XTerk-RS| Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 6700XT
    I have my card running three profiles; 1 set with 925/1250@v1.031 (a little undervolted), 2 set with 1030/1575@v1.125 (which is supposed to be the stock voltage on boost bioses) and 3 set with 1130/1575@v1.213...

That's the reason why I'm posting; if I want to use another voltage lower that the boost one (which is the voltage my OC will use because of the "boost") I have to set it constant.

I hope so when he has time to do it.

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Guest

GPU:
    GTX Gigabyte 650TiB
    Boost Voltage is a linear scale that is needed to maintain that clock speed. Currently there is No way to set boost voltage other then forcing a minimum and constant voltage and then under clocking.

5. |XTerk-RS|

|XTerk-RS| Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 6700XT
    I know man, what I'm trying to express in this post is the possibility to add a feature for changing boost vcore, so when AB applies voltage when OCing it will not apply that vcore to the normal BIOS but the BIOS with BOOST, so using a fixed vcore will no longer be needed.