EA makes a bold statement: No new Battlefield for 'a couple of years'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 2, 2016.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Here's what I think what should happen in BF1's case.

First thing is first, DLC should be free. They should go about the DLC in one of two ways if they want the game to last a couple of years.

No paid DLC, all completely free.

Or

Have a season pass that will give holders first access for a couple of weeks, then have it available to everyone at a later date.

I would also like to see some sort of creation tools for BF1.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Couldnt have said it better myself, absolutely spot on :)

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I didn't really care for BF3/Hardline - BF4 was ok to me, but I think I mostly liked it because at the time I had nothing else to play.

BF1 is different though. I agree that the game is less complex and probably doesn't have the skill ceiling that some of the earlier BF games had. That being said, the game is excellent. The maps are well designed and look/feel great. The graphics are incredible, yet somehow the performance is even better. They give an absolute metric ton of control/PC options. They offer both matchmaking and dedicated custom servers. The classes have a bit of balance issues, but they've acknowledged those and working to remedy it. They already redesigned one whole map due to balance concerns. The single player is probably the best in a battlefield game. The sound is as great as always. The concepts they borrowed from Battlefront are interesting (elite classes) and the addition of minor things like horses, "semi-levolution", train/battleship/blimp etc all add cool little touches to the gameplay. The graphics are ****ing incredible, I really can't stress that enough so I'm writing it twice - there are locations/weather conditions on maps like Empires Edge where I'm seriously in awe by how good the game looks. Then I look up and see 120fps @ QHD Ultra and my mind is just blown.

So yeah, if you're looking for a competitive/complex/really in depth experience - I agree that Battlefield 1 might not fit that bill completely. But the game itself is probably one of the best PC games I've ever played and I've played a lot of them.

As far as the DLC/Etc - I definitely agree that they chose a poor way to accomplish it. I'd rather the CS:GO/R6 Siege method of giving maps for free and just creating high quality skins and stuff as the DLC content. CS:GO/Dota/Siege all make a ton of money just by selling skins, BF would be no different as long as they were good. Selling the maps/new vehicles/weapons as DLC expansion packs just fractures the community. I don't care for it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Wow, so ea takes a lesson from Ubisoft, shocking. lol

5. Alberello

Alberello Guest

Finally a good notice... ;)
    Just bought the new Battlefield 1

6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This is a very good thing. For once it gives all the people enough time to exp[lore all the classes and unlocks.

7. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Where's my previous post ? I'm subscribed to this thred but my post has gone ?

8. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    Not sure why this is news,It was said at least 2-3 years ago that there was going to be a long gap(2-3 years) between main Battlfield titles. Hardline and Battlefront were the non-main iterim titles between Battlfield 4 and Battlefield 1. Rinse and repeat.

9. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    It would be good if DICE could focus on upgrading their game engine to support Virtual Reality helmets and then move all current content onto it. It is completely new level of gaming experience and immersion when you hold virtual guns in your hands (like in Serious Sam VR). Next generation of VR helmets are coming with eye tracking cameras, which will allow not only to have personal two-way interaction experiences, but also huge performance and quality gains by using Foveated Rendering (GPU renders only small part of the screen in ultra high quality, where you are looking at).

I expect for VR game engines to turn into a platform for delivering interactive gaming episodes like TV series. For example, instead of offering 4 DLC map packs, creators could sell 10, 45 minute long, missions in a gaming universe, which could be shared between multiple studios.

One of the reasons why Blizzard stays strong is that they stopped throwing old content away. They improving it, moving it to a new engine, and offering it to a new generation of players.

Same with DICE, they could create Battlefield universe (with past, present and future), merge all maps through dynamic content loading, and run them on the same game engine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Well they got Battlefront 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda to tide them through. I just hope they release Battlefield 2143 as their next game in the series.

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    They should do a BC3.

12. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    They can go home. They screw things to many times.
    EA with Dice can go on retire, and make place for less pathetic new company :D

13. 0LBaID

0LBaID Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090TI FE
    BFwhat?

They should take several years off.

Having an embarrassing amount of hours in BF4 and previous BF games, I watched the demise of the franchise (my opinion) from Hardline, to Battlefront, and now BF1. I had no interest in BF1 (from the beta) as it looked like much of what was finally great with BF4 (it took one year to get it right and finally get the good server tick/balancing) was not present. The actual look of the game was also underwhelming and finally the movement to "arcade style" play does not interest me. I want more of a MOBA'ish feel to the game, classes and group play to be the focus.

Many of the largest and best BF4 servers/players I know do not play BF1 very much and still play BF4. Shame to as the PC community for BF will slowly die out due to the inability to really control and use a server as before.

Dice is hamstrung by EA and its a shame i think they made good games for many years.

P.S Titanfall 2 (Respawn) is a helluva game and SP experience. If EA had not screwed them with the release date i think it would be game of the year. It is for me, tied with Overwatch for FPS.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    good. The gap between Bf3 and Bf4 was too small.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sounds good, BF1 is now officially my favorite BF game ever, nearing 270 hours played and the game barely released. I can't remember the last time I was hooked to a multiplayer game this bad. And it is significantly different than previous modern BF games. And Operations are awesome, by far the most action packed game-mode ever in a BF game.

As for the people insisting calling Battlefront games Battlefield reskins... sigh, they are nothing, NOTHING alike. I absolutely hated the new Battlefront, and will most likely skip the this next one as well IF it's the same.

All I care about right now though is to see more content for BF1. :)

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    oh great, they left us with this turd (BF1) for God knows how much time.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not a bad idea considering they may have run out of fresh ideas. Look at Ubisoft they took a year hiatus for the Assassin's Creed movie.

18. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Hopefully it means: MORE FREE DLC to Titanfall 2

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Battlefield without Modding Support is not a Battlefield Game.

20. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Imho it wont ever get any better than Desert Combat and the mods that came with it.
    It would be cool to see a game where if you didn't work with your squad/team in very precise ways relating to your current loadout, you would have zero chance.
    Like require a certain # of heals, or ammo drops, or suppression per round, or you lose points/ ammo/anything of value.
    Make it really important to the game to play as a team.
    Anyhow, JMTC....Have a nice day!