Recording video at 60fps

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by chumanga1, Aug 15, 2014.

1. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    I have some doubt with afterburner about recording at 60fps. I have kepler GPU and intel 4th gen CPU, using shadowplay to capture videos i can make 60fps smooth videos than have constant 60fps during all recorded time.

In afterburner i cannot reproduce same example even with Nvenc or QuickSync, all videos in playback have fps drops and looks laggish.

Are there some who can use afterburner with this codecs and produce 60fps videos without problems?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nobody is able to record via AB of course. It is a fake.

3. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    I think i find the cause of my problem, videos are recorded at true 60fps but in the output mkv container it is running with fps drops because some conflict happening, when i extract raw footage from mkv container them run 60fps fixed at their own codecs.

With x264vfw at 60fps it have same fps drops inside mkv, but when extracting the avi file inside the mkv container it runs in fixed 60fps without problem. With OBS software the output mp4 files for the 3 codecs (quicksync,nvenc,x264vfw) all become with 60fps without problems.

4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    So I guess it is caused by your splitter?
    I am using LAV splitter inside the MPC, and don't facing this issues.

5. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    I dont know what can be, when i record 30fps videos with theses same codecs them play at fixed 30fps inside mkv container but when trying higher fps starts the problem. Strange thing. But at least i have a workaround now extracting the files from mkv.

My MPC is using LAV too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Maybe try increase the buffer size?
    And you can check for Frame drop by using CTRL+J on MPC.

7. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    There is something beyond my understanding. I thinking than extracting the file inside mkv with mkvextractgui was taking real 60fps file but now looks mkvextract is converting to 60fps fix because video lenght is changing when doing it and getting out of sync with audio, so afterburner in fact is recording the videos with fps drops, its was not a problem with playback fps reading.

I tried different games and some times dont experience problem with outputfile, its randomly and most part video is at 60fps but have many moments of fps dropping to 40-50fps then when you gonna reencode to 60fps it will change video lenght and get out of sync with audio.

Another thing about recording with afterburner in 60fps i notice, if your ingame fps drop below 60fps in any game, video recording will keep up with ingame fps and will record video at same ingame fps when drop below 60fps. With shadowplay and OBS this dont happens, it keep video file at 60fps in any circunstances.

8. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, I know what you are talking now.
    You are talking about variable frame rate, which is used by MSI AB to save the video size, and also make sure it record all the Frame as it is not constant frame rate for the game that rendering the Frame.

It is normal to see that you get unsync by converting a variable frame rate video, you can just Google about how to convert VFR to CFR without unsync.
    ----
    And ya, you may need to get a better setup for your MPC too, as you get stutter by playing VFR video, it means that you are not setup the Player good enough, and it is not trying to sync with Monitor refresh rate.

It can also be the Frame time is too small to showing in 1 Vsync time too, as you really can't display 2 Frame in 1 vsync.

9. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    Edited!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016