Random Reboots (suspect PSU) - Need Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jacastto, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Hi All,

So ive been playing Mass Effect 2 pretty intensively over the last few days, and just in the last 2 i have been having some sort of hardware issue.

After a couple of hours of play, I hear a click (like a short circut or something) the power to my system is cut. Screen goes dead, Fans stop. Nothing. Then, as abruptly as it stopped, my system restarts again. I have noticed that the PSU is extremely hot when such reboots occur.

In order to counter-act this overheating, I sat my case in the open and took the side off, which should be more than enough ventilation, and considering the PSU was 850 watt (more than enough to handle the load of my machine), such overheating should not have been occuring in the first place.

Last Night, this happened again, only the system did not reboot. Since then I have not been able to turn it on. Initially, I thought the power supply had died, but when the PSU is plugged in, there is still a light on my motherboard, indicating some power is getting through, and perhaps there is a more complex problem. This is confusing...

Im no expert at these things, so can somebody please help?

Thanks,

Jacastto

2. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Is the fan in the PSU spinning ?

Are the vents in the PSU clear ?

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What PSU exactly? "850W" doesn't really mean anything.

4. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    you know I didnt think to check if the fan was spinning at the time, but the vents are definately clear.

I cant check it now because, like I said, it wont even turn on. But there is still some power getting to the motherboard.

5. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    It says on it 850w Titan V2.0. Sorry i dont know more about it. it was probably the part i paid least attantion to on purchase

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Someone is going to chew you out for it. The PSU is technically the most important component, you never want to skimp out. Is there a brand name by chance?

7. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
  8. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Ok so its definately my power supply that needs replacing. When I tryed it again, I could see the short out on the inside of the PSU when the pc attempts to boot. The motherboard still gets power, but the supply cannot handle the draw of boot up.

So, to avoid having a similar situation in the future, Does anyone have any suggestions for a PSU of around 650W? Im looking at upgrading my graphics to a 6870, so im pretty sure that a 650 will do the trick.

Thanks again

9. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    The power to the Motherboard you are talking about is just Standby Power - a completely separate circuit from the main Power Supply.

Your System as it stands now and with a 6870, can easily get by with 450 watts.

But if you want 650 watts, then I recommend:-

Corsair TX650W

(I should work for Corsair!)

10. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090

11. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I was about to say, Jae-So's just put one up for sale... But you're a bit far out! Still, look for a good corsair supply or something well known.

12. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    In the intrest of staying under my low budget, would a 550W be sufficient to stay upgrade proof? ill probably never get the high-end graphics or anything.

A few which i have scouted are Cooler Master 650W eXtreme Power Plus, which seems to have good reviews and customer satisfaction. Also, the Antec Neo-Eco 620w is an option.

The Corsair VX-550 550W does seem like a good option aswell, as long as 550W is sufficient.

Thanks for all your help

13. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    550W quality PSU will be more than enough to handle the setup from your sig. Even if you were to put 6870 or similar it would still be fine. So you can go ahead and invest in 550W PSU, just be sure to get quality one - on thing you shouldn't go budget with is the PSU - just don't buy the cheapest one :)

14. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870

A VX550W will be fine.

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm getting VX-550 soon (next week), for my e8500 PC (hardware on the way). Might need to get second VX-550 or TX750 for my q9450 PC (getting it soon). :p

Seasonic X-650 etc are damn good, but you are paying loads of cash for those. VX-550 is good budget PSU.

16. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Sounds good.

But before I buy it, does anyone have any reason to not go for the Cooler Master 650W eXtreme Power Plus? Because I can actually get a better deal on it, and the reviews and user feedback I have seen seem pretty positive.

All I want is a reliable power supply, I dont need or care for extras or features as long as it works.

17. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    I've seen a few comments from people saying it's not all that good:

- It's more like a 550 watt PSU

- It's noisy

- It's only 70% efficient (not 80 Plus rated, like the Corsair)

- Bad ripple and Voltage Regulation

- Outdated Design

It's also not a single rail unit.

If you are a Gamer, then I would suggest you get the Corsair.

If the CPU can be considered as the Brain of your PC, then the PSU is the Heart (it supplies the blood - the Electrical Power).

You never skimp on the PSU, get the best you can afford.

I recommend Corsair PSU's more than any other, because the ones I recommend are 80 Plus Rated and Single Rail at least.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  18. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Well it ordered. Im getting a VX-550.

Thanks everyone for all your help :)