Cannot stop video capture

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by ionfresko, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ionfresko

ionfresko Guest

Cannot stop video capture - solved!

Hi,

I have a strange problem I cannot seem to figure out. I’ve been trying out various video capture utilities for a while, and finally I settled for MSI AB. It’s the best, all things considered, for video capture in flight simulator X-Plane 10 (OpenGL, 64 bit), which I use it for. I’ve been finding perfect settings for my setup, and its superb!

So thanks for this great thing!

But yesterday it suddenly stopped working. Or more precisely, I can start the capture, but not stop it. Hence there is no actual capture. I had the same problem a while ago, and then, as I recall it, things just started to work again.

But now I have tried everying I can think of, changing all possible settings I think (including reinstalling). I have also read in this forum for suggestion.
    What I did found out, however, was that if I set detetection level to “none” in the RT server, it works. Hence the problem seems to be with this function, the OSD. However, I have tried every possible combination of settings in RT server (I think), to no avail.

So then I don’t know if I capture or not, and I need to know that. I capture only short clips for making movies, so I stop and capture all the time, hence I really need to know in some way if I’m recording or not.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I find it really strange, as I haven’t changed anything, other than that there have been windows updates of course (yesterday I think).

I would be really happy if I could get things to work again. It would be perfectly OK for me if I cannot get the RT server/OSD properly, if there is another way to see if I’m capturing or not. I was thinking if I could have some kind of CPU utility meter overlay instead (AF takes about 20% on my setup), but the problem is that CPU time various also in the game, so it’s not a reliable solution.

Reagrds, ionfresko

I use the latest AF, 4.2, win10(64), gtx 770, 4770k, 16gb RAM

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    did you check for false recognized 3D applications in the info dialog of MSIAB?

3. ionfresko

ionfresko Guest

Thanks for swift answer!

I did notice that post and suggestion. However, I didn't try it because it depend on setting the detetection level to "none." For if I do so it works already, as I said. Also, I would not have any notification of when capturing or not, as there is no OSD when setting detection level to "none."

So it seems, then, that this cannot help me. Or have I misunderstood something? Can I follow this suggestion, set detection level to "none," and still have OSD in some way?

Regards, ionfresko

4. JaxonN

JaxonN Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozr
    You may have this on already, I can't tell from the description, but in RTSS there's a 'Show Onscreen Display' and also the 'Show Own Statistics' - are these both on? (this is for the OSD not showing, forcing RTSS to show it's own stats and not those of AB's OSD setup, therefore always showing an OSD when the hook is enabled)

To clarify the "I can start the capture, but not stop it" part - are you using the video pre-record or the normal capture to record?

I'm no expert but as far as I knew the detection level is needed to be on High when trying to capture OpenGL (according to the tool-tip anyway, I don't have any OpenGL games to test) - Edit (I couldn't find the strikethrough), this is incorrect after re-reading tool-tip, even low it will capture.
    Also is the Stealth Mode enabled?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Maybe, because you have to set detection level to none for the unwanted applications, not for your game you want to record!

Your game has to have enabled detection level and will show OSD.
    But if there are unwanted (false) 3D applications, than they are stealing the "focus" of RTSS and they can get the OSD and recording instead of your game.
    But as they are not really using Direct 3D graphics output, there won't be any OSD or recording. That's why you have to set them to "Detection level: None", letting RTSS ignore those false apps.

6. ionfresko

ionfresko Guest

Thanks guys for all suggestions!

However, nothing seems to work. First of all there was a few unwanted processes, which I managed to get rid as instructed.

I have tried all possible settings I can think of, all different detection levels etc (and of course I have "Show Onscreen Display," Stealth Mode on/off etc). I record by using manual, ie, normal capture and not pre-record.

Its really strange, as I haven't anything anywhere, as far as I can recall. Things are also a bit erratic. At different times there can, for example, be different unwanted processes (no there is non though). On one occasion I also could'nt close the server as usual, and even though AF was closed, it said "out of memory." What memory might that be? I have 16 GB RAM.

Still, though, I can record if a set detection level on "none." But then I have no OSD display, and cannot see when I'm recording or not.

I will try some more things, such as updating my Nvidia drivers

Regards, ionfresko

7. ionfresko

ionfresko Guest

Hi again, I just fixed the problem!

What I did was to use Driver Cleaner, install newest Nvida driver, and then reinstalled AF again.Tried default first, a few changes. Then, after clicking "Use dedicated encoder server," it all worked perfectly again! I don't really know why, as I had that checked before also. But I think AF needs to be reinstalled sometimes, I have done it a few times before.

Thanks all for suggestions!

8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Just to clear my mind up: What do you mean with AF?
    MSI Afterburner = AB or MSI AB :3eyes:

But glad to see it's now working for you :)

9. ionfresko

ionfresko Guest

I was thinking I wrote "AB", i.e., Afterburner, of corse...:)

10. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Nvm.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016