Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero Mini ITX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We're going from small to smaller with graphics cards, meet the 17cm MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero Mini ITX that MSI releases today. The dual-slot graphics card is tiny, really tiny yet manages to be a v...

Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero Mini ITX

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes the 3g exist in itx size and i agree with you about the 6g as the price dif from 3 to 6 is less than on "gaming" or "armor" serie.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't understand the marketing behind this. If you have an ITX case that supports a full-profile dual-slot card (like this one), it is VERY likely it will fit something longer than this. For example, I have an ITX case that can fit a 25cm card in it. I know most ITX cases aren't that roomy, but generally speaking, the GPU just needs to be shorter than the width of the motherboard (so, smaller than 170mm).

It seems to me most ITX cases and motherboards are focused on either being low profile or only support single slot cards. The 1060 is a pretty efficient GPU, I'm pretty sure it could handle having a smaller heatsink.

But oh well, nice product anyway.

4. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I would've been more impressed if it was a 1070 or better to be honest.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Have no fear, there is one, or two, maybe more

http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXOC-8GD#kf
    https://www.zotac.com/eg/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforceĀ®-gtx-1070-mini-0

The zotac one actually seemed to be the cheapest going.

I looked at a few tests for the gigabyte one and as you'd imagine, it's kinda noisy and hot at full load compared to the longer cards, but still less than reference.

Best cheap one for noise and temperature and price seems to be the gainward phoenix card.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I would like to know how is it that, every "most" other sites make out the RX470 is a POS. But here in Guru3d it matches or even beats the 1060?

Would it be possible for all sites to upload the same demo, timedemo, whatever you would like so there could be a standard in testing.

Then again Dues EX has got a in game benchmark and all other sites beside Guru3d and Bit-tech says RX470 is any good...

Thanks I do appreciate the reviews here Hilbert Hagedoorn.

I actually would have bought the Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Mini, before I bought the Powercolor RX470.

I guess only time will tell if the extra 2GB vram would have made any differance.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    @Quicks
    Which sites? Places like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech have had many dishonest moments. Sites like Guru3D and bit-tech (and Phoronix for that matter) tell it as it is and if you don't like it, you can do the tests yourself since they give you all the info. I get the impression Linus Tech Tips isn't all that biased either, since he promotes the usage of old hardware and seems to have a good grasp of what the average person can afford. These sites don't accept bribes, they don't intentionally use software that favors one brand over another, and they often go a bit in-depth about what the graphs mean.

8. Matjuha

Matjuha Active Member

GPU:
    Asus ENGTX470 1280MB
    Can someone please explain to me, how does this half-length 1060 perform the same as the full length one? Something must have been cut from the board to shorten it but no performance difference?

9. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    I agree completely. Every ITX case I've used would either support a longer GPU, or this would be too tall for. It's also worth noting that while this heatsink is orientated to help exhaust air outside the case, since it isn't a true "blower" design you're still going to get a fair bit of warm air recirculated in your chassis. In most larger ITX cases from companies like Corsair or Phanteks this shouldn't be a problem, but if you have a really tight small form factor case you could see CPU temps take a hit due to that.

10. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    I chose the short EVGA 1060 SC for my recent HTPC build because the shorter card allows additional airflow from left to right inside my case (Fractal Design Node 605). I have a push/pull setup with intakes on the left, exhaust on the right. My case supports full size ATX mobos and full size GPU's, but I'm using an mATX mobo and short GPU to allow proper airflow. In this setup my CPU (i5-7600k OC'd to 4.2ghz) never gets above 120F and my GPU's fans almost never turn on. Due to this setup, only the push/pull fans and the CPU fan (Noctura NH-D9L) ever run, and they run slowly and silently at that. A full size GPU would effectively be a big wall dividing the case in two, and I'd likely need to rearrange my fan setup to compensate for that.