Intel Reacts to Ryzen with new Kaby Lake Core i5 7640k and i7 7740K Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2017.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    SMT as a concept is two threads sharing resources made to be used by one thread. In that sense Bulldozer and it's constant sharing of four FPUs between eight threads, along with its actually excellent multithreading performance, is a good indicator that they'll be fine with their SMT. They have been doing this since Bulldozer's launch basically.

2. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    LOL! The way I see it is that Intel knows that AMD will hit them hard and they have to go the route that AMD had to go (Bulldozer) when there was nothing better on the table... That's going for brute force on OC! Now the other side of the story is that current Intel CPU's are basically as refined as can get and the only way is a whole new architecture from the ground up. This however will take them years... On the other hand AMD has a fresh unrefined CPU architecture on their hands. They will get a lot more out of Ryzen in the next few years to come and we will all benefit from this, as Intel will be forced to drop their prices and AMD will level the playing fields for a change. I'm very glad for AMD, those guys really had a bad time the past few years. It will be good if we can all see them stay in business and make a profit again.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Ah I understand now. Well, SMT is sharing more than that so it should be more complex in this regard.
    But good point nonetheless, maybe they already had the groundwork due to managing FPU sharing.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Wait... you're giving your mom the 8C/16T as a replacement to a Core2 Duo?

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, seems like overkill.

As for Intel, they could keep the same prices and people who don't do research and assume the product that costs the most is the best would still buy them.

There is also the possibility that the Intel CPU's come off better in certain scenarios and the justification could be there to not do much with the pricing.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    From a Core2 Duo!?
    [​IMG]

7. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    :bigsmile:

Mainstream class is a big potential market share:D