killer Ethernet question

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by MaeClark0318, May 20, 2014.

1. MaeClark0318

MaeClark0318 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/O
    Hi, I m tring to build my new gaming pc, with asus mb vs msi mb, I think I spend all my time on Dota 2, Diablo 3(RoS), and more (WoW, maybe watch dogs), and I always watching movie at same time

ok, back to the title
    here is my old pc, build with i5 4670 and asus z87-a mb, with msi n760 graphic card

the different between the mbs, is msi using killer ethernet.
    by some google research, ppl saying killer is better for gaming
    because you can shape network traffic on your PC and monitor it

just want to see what you guys think,
    and does anyone using this Killer Ethernet before, want to know the feedback with it

:banana: :stewpid:

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I would skip it to be honest, it's just a regular NIC that has a fancy GUI. It performs no better than any other NIC on the market (Although it is sometimes worse), and the "features" it offers can be done in other ways. It's mostly marketing, not to mention a few people on here have mentioned having problems.

Also worth reading:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...e2200-nic-into-qualcomm-athero-ar8161.198899/

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. PedroGoodal219

PedroGoodal219 Guest

GPU:
    GTX750TI-PH-2GD5
    I m using msi z87-gd65 right now
    for most of time, if I "only" play game, you will never feel different between Intel NIC or Killer.
    but normaly, I like to download movie and watch it during the game time,
    because the dl, u will feel lagging while gaming.
    but the Killer NIC come with a software, which can monitor the traffic,
    so I can do multi-action with my pc without lag.

(well, most ppl turn off all other program, and focus on it during the game play):infinity:

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Most if not all major download tools come with ways to control bandwidth, not to mention that there's likely a number of other devices which already exist in your chain of components capable of doing so. I honestly would outright refuse to buy a motherboard that 'featured' the Killer NIC.

5. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    I would use it over onboard realtek/marvel stuff, however for the best experience I'd spend $30 on a nice intel nic. None even come close to intel imho

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have an MSI board that uses the Killer NIC E2200 and it is pretty sweet and works very well basically the same as any Intel Ethernet chip I have used in the past.

HOWEVER!

The software that comes with it is a joke!! It not only causes issues with other software, it down right has some system performance killing bugs in it as well.

Not only that the software in forced on you! You HAVE to install the software to install the drivers! You can't just install the drivers and get the device to work.

That is until someone found a way to hack the drivers and copy them.

Here is the link to MSI forums about this issue, there is also a download link in there for 32bit and 64bit versions of the drivers ONLY for the Killer NIC.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178063.0

TRUST ME! Stay away from the software, its buggy, crappy, does not improve lag at all, and can kill system performance. Stick with either an Intel NIC board or just install the drivers ONLY for the Killer.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My Intel and Broadcom NIC's have no problem with downloading and gaming at the same time. Hell, I was playing WoW while I was downloading the TESO beta, while I was downloading the Wildstar beta and while I was downloading Diablo3. If you use a proper NIC and not some piece of garbage with a Realtek or Marvell chipset, downloading and gaming at the same time is quite easy if you have a decent internet connection. Obviously, if you have a slow internet connection you're going to have issues regardless of the NIC used.

Intel Gigabit CT NICs and Broadcom NetLink or NetExtreme NIC's sell for as little as $20-30 and do everything that BigFoot Networks claimed the Killer NIC was capable of without requiring any bloatware.

8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    My MSI board has a Killer NIC and I hand on heart say it's the worst piece of problematic crap !

I disabled it and bought a nice intel NIC.