New battery question.

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Scorch666, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Hey guys.

I recently got myself a new battery for my laptop. And in amongst the paperwork it advices me to charge and deplete the battery about 3-4 times. Is this really nessisary? Atm i've charged and depleted at least once.
    What do you think?

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It's not a must, however, any battery including mobile phone batteries are advised to be charged several times to get the maximum use out of them...

Standard thing really and any manufacturer will tell you the same thing...

3. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Ok. just checking what the genral feeling was.
    Cheers.

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    my wife still lets here laptop battery discharge before recharging 2 years I didn't and my laptop is plugged in all the time because the battery is shot

5. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Hmmm. Thing is i used to do that using the batteriy and rechargeing, and i messed up 2 batteries. So am quite wary.

6. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    That'a true for old batteries. Not for lithium ion batteries though. Lithium ion batteries only have so many "charges" before they become useless. The best way to keep a lithium ion batter in shape is to keep it charged between 40% and 100% at all times. The more times it discharges completely the more worn out it gets. So like for my phones an my Sager laptop I try to keep them plugged in as much as possible. Modern batteries have a feature that stops them from over charging once they're full.

TL:DR stop charging and discharging your batteries. This is bad advice.

7. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    I keep it plugged in all the time now. Thanks for the advice.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yep, current tech doesn't overcharge, also bad/incorrect chargers are the real cause for most batteries dying early, like my hp g72 now lasting 5 min on battery because i kept it plugged in with my envy m6's slightly higher powered charger(I think g72 accepts 19 volts and charger does 19.5 plus amps are higher too, wonder why they cant negotiate and adjust since its all hp)

but yea you can let it charging all day even when off and it wont ever produce any heat after 100%, but I avoid doing that anyway, better be safe :p