DAC question

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Jasonite, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    I'm new here and am building a gaming computer for the first time since '04. I've got all my components picked out except the soundcard and headphones. I'm a bit confused by the soundcard selections and also the DAC. My question is, is it worth it to get a DAC such as DragonFly 1.2 or HRT microStreamer? I'm not even sure what details to supply to help get an accurate answer, so please ask!

Jason

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They are worth it, but it depends on your budget.

3. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    More recently I've begun looking at a Modi and Magni combo. It seems to me you either buy a soundcard or get a DAC/amp, is that right?

Jason

4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    If you get a soundcard, you will still need and AMP/Receiver, or powered speakers. It depends, do you want surround sound, or just 2.0/2.1 channel audio? If this is the case, a DAC might be the way to go.

regards
    ,RagDoll.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Look into Aune T1. Must people seem to prefer it to Modi Magni. A few gurus also run the T1, including myself, and they'll only ever tell you that it's a great piece of kit.

6. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    Let me give a more thorough explanation:

First the sound card. I feel confused here. After reading a guide to gaming audio I became biased toward CMSS-3D Headphone technology, but it seems like SBX is more the way to go nowadays, particularly for folks like me who want a closed-back set of cans. At this point I'm not sure whether it's better to have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card (Asus has a couple) or one that has something like SBX tech in it (like the Sound Blaster Z), or if I should just bag a sound card and get an external DAC/AMP like Modi and Magni instead. I need to make sure Direct3d and OpenAL are covered too. It seems like S/PDIF connections are the way to go, so I'd certainly want those connections as well. I just feel confused. My priority is immersion probably more than total positional clarity, as I play stuff like SW:TOR or Star Trek Online or Neverwinter more than a FPS like Battlefield 4. Any feedback here would be appreciated.

Next the headset. I do have powered 2.1 speaker but most of the time I will be listening on a headset. I really do want positional audio, but I also want a headset with bass so the AD700's are out. I don't want to pay much more than $100-120 for a headset, which is another constraint. In reading Head-Fi's buying guide for gaming headphones the Skullcandy SLYR seems to fit the bill--even though they're Skullcandy. What do folks think about this set, and are there others to recommend? No open-backs for me though.

Finally an amp. Not sure if I need one or not, but if I did I'd probably lean toward the Magni as I've heard great things about it. My understanding is that this is driven by the kind of headset I own, correct? What is a good guideline as to whether one would be warranted or not?

I appreciate all the feedback I get. Feel free to ask clarifying questions if I'm leaving something out.

Jason

7. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    It looks good, the only thing is it seems to only offer a USB connection when my understanding is that a S/PDIF connection is better.

J

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    From what you said i would say just get either a sound blaster Z if you have a free PCI-E slot, or the Sound blaster omni if you do not. Both can be found between $45-59 on ebay. Since you said you want bass and closed back, even tho there are open back headphones that has some nice bass like the DT990 pro-250 which sells for $125 on amazon, some times $119 if your lucky. DT770 pro-80 is a good choice if you want hard hitting bass but it usually cost $139 on ebay. Open back headphones tend to have bigger sound stage/imaging which is good for sound positioning.

If you still have a old X-FI laying around with optical, you can use the modi optical to send the CMSS3D headphone from the card to the modi but then you will need to get a headphone amp like the magni or the vali. Atleast with the options i mentioned from creative, it be easier for you since both Sound blaster Z and omni has a headphone amp in it that work very well.

As for a mic get a clip on mic or the modmic and use that.

9. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    Yeah, I think the Soundblaster Z would be great choice, I will go with that. It also supports EAX 5, DTC and Dolby Digital which, hey, doesn't hurt. The only thing I don't like is that the dynamic range for the Z starts at 100hz, whereas I prefer it to start down at 20 or below like the Xonar series. As for amps, on Creative's site they say the Z has a headphone amp that's up to 600 Ohms.

As far as headsets, my problem with open-backed cans is that I'll be playing in the evening and don't want to disturb other people in my lace, and I don't necessarily want other people listening to what I am either, I prefer it be just me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's how you connect these DACs to PC, via USB. Spdif has nothing to do with that. You simply connect the DAC to PC via USB, then your headphones via analogue output.
    Open back phones will leak some sound, but I can't see them being disturbing to people around you, unless you turn the volume quite high.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

11. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    Okay thanks, that's what I didn't know. Let's say I get the Soundblaster Z and the HD558's. Would I even need an amp?

J

12. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    +1 I have this exact setup. This sound card has a great amp in it. 25 on the volume is Loud with my 770 pro 80's. It will drive those HD 558's easy!

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You will be ok, hd 558 are 50 ohm iirc, Z will drive them just fine.

14. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    I've been doing a lot more thinking about my setup:

I'm planning on buying the Sound Blaster Z card and am looking for a great pair of cans to round out my experience. My budget is now $200 and under, and I will primarily use them for gaming, but I'd also like to listen to music as well from time to time. Soundstage, imaging and bass are particularly important to me. Imaging for obvious reasons, gotta know where shots are coming from, soundstage I think goes along with this, and bass because I love good explosions as well as digging into some killer Queen songs.

I've narrowed it down to several choices: Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, NVX Audio XPT100, KRK KNS6400, AKG K612PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, Sennheiser HD 558, KAM HP1 and the HiFiMan - HE-400. Normally the HE-400 would be way over my budget but I've managed to find a deal where I can get them for $200.

According to David Mahler regarding the HE-400s: "Very few headphones possess as deeply textured, well-extended, and impactful bass as the HE-400" "I'm tempted to suggest that at its pricepoint, the HE-400 is the best at imaging of all the headphones I've heard" and "The HE-400's soundstage is more impressive than most of its similarly-priced competitors. While it is not the widest, it exhibits significant depth and height. It is a fairly natural sound presentation."

My understanding of the 900x is that they have good clarity, lush balanced mids and highs, punchy accurate bass, are very comfortable, great soundstage but I don't know about imaging; the KNS6400 are closed cans so the soundstage seems good but not the equivalent of opens according to tdockweiler in his review; the XPT100 is also closed but reportedly has a better soundstage than the 6400 according to keanex, but no word is given about the imaging in his review; keanex also reports on the KAM HP1 (also closed), saying the bass is good after burn in but there is not a lot of weight, "When listening to songs that demand heavy, deep, bass I felt that the HP1 lacked. The HP1 make even the deepest bass regions audible, but there’s no rumble" per his review; my understanding of the Sennheiser 558 is that they have a warm laid back sound signature. Decent bass impact and extension, smooth mids, and slightly rolled off highs, don't know about imaging here though; according to Brooko's review the K612 Pro has a nice soundstage and better imaging than the K702, and also have marginally more bass while remaining flat.

Given what I've read I'm leaning toward the HE-400, but are the 400's overkill? It's at the top of my budget but I'd rather pay less of course, unless the 400 is head and shoulders above the competition. I will have some extended music sessions but primarily these will be gaming headphones. I also will having them hooked up to a sound card for surround, not a high end DAC and amp. A consideration also is that they not be too heavy and certainly comfortable, for extended gaming and listening. I'm worried the 400's might be fairly heavy. Having said all this, these are just my guesses from a relative newcomer. Should I consider going for the HE 400's, is it not necessary, or am I missing a factor that will determine what gaming headphones to get? Sorry for the length of this post, but all this stuff is in my head!

Jason

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The HE-400's are fantastic, but you'll want something decent to plug them into. I would recommend at the least hooking them up to a SB Z, their impedance is 38ohms if memory serves so it should work decently. Out of all the products you've mentioned, for the price you're looking at, those are the best out of the bunch. Sounds like you can get a very good deal on them.

Edit: Looking around a little it seems the Z should be fine for the HE-400's. I'd get them over everything else you've mentioned personally, but as always be sure to read reviews of all the headphones and decide on what seems to be the best option for you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

16. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Heck yea....the HE-400 are the best can out of that bunch.....by far.

That is a great deal for those.....not sure how much amp you will need for them, though.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I would advise not to buy headphones by reviews only. Go and listen them all.

Also, Beyerdynamic DT 770, 880, 990 are worth to try.

18. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    nevermind...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  19. Jasonite

Jasonite Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 770 2gb
    I will be hooking them up to a SB Z (or possibly ZxR) card, so they will definitely be amped through a 5.1 sound card with a fairly good DAC. I don't live in a big enough city to listen to find most of these cans to listen to or I certainly would.

That $200 deal is over now. In case I don't find another one, is there a good alternative at my price point that the things I'm looking for, ideally one that weighs a bit less?

J