Nvidia and Vulkan?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sunnyp_343, Aug 9, 2016.

1. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    Will ever Nvidia pascal going to proper support for Vulkan?i mean Nvidia released the driver and we see no performance increase.So is it wise to buy Nvidia latest Pascal series graphic cards or in future it gonna support?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    It's touch and go with Vulkan.
    Some users report no increase.
    Others, like me, gain about 50% increase in fps compared to OpenGL.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    On May 27th which would put the date approximately two months ago.

You don't? That's strange.

[​IMG]

4. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    This is only picture where i seeing performance increase for Nvidia.Where other 10 different benchmark i see no difference not even 1 frame.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Should I go and find ten other "pictures" like this one or will you be able to handle this yourself?

6. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    The power of internet. :stewpid:

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Many reported including some respected guru3d members that running Vulcan on nvidia does improve framerate (Pascal not Maxwell) but it also introduces some stuttering and non consistent frame rate that was not present in OGL.

All in all, cant wait for Quake Champions (probably Vulcan support due same engine) and some more games to actually see where all this is going.

I for instance was amazed how big of a difference was using Vulcan vs OGL using even on this crappy old AMD card.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Vulkan improve framerate on NV when the renderer is CPU limited, Pascal or Maxwell or Kepler it doesn't matter. The obvious reason why Pascal cards are seeing more overall improvements is because they are being CPU limited more often.

Stuttering is due to a bug in flip queue handling which is either on id's or NV's side (I think it may have something to do with id using present from compute queue to reduce latency which isn't supported by NV h/w right now - or possibly ever - illustrating again that Doom's VK renderer is a 100% GCN/AMD effort which doesn't contain any specific optimizations for NV h/w). This stuttering is heavily affecting average fps results btw as cards like GTX1080 is loosing some 30% of performance because of this.

Id is still yet to provide support for Pascal's async compute and NV's shader intrinsics of which the latter seems to be responsible for the lion's share of performance gains on GCN. As of right now Doom's VK can be considered a port of id's console code back to PC, under VK AMD extensions. As such it does not provide a proper comparative picture to what NV h/w can achieve in the same API, especially if you consider that in TPP (the only other VK game we have right now) the picture is exactly opposite with NV winning and AMD loosing:

[​IMG]

Anyone who's running around with Doom's VK results saying something about NV's VK support at the moment is essentially doing this:

[​IMG]

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Doom Vulkan simply runs with TB vsync enabled on Nvidia. This doesn't influence the fps as long as you don't do FCAT measurements and it is clearly an Nvidia driver issue, according to id dev Axel Gneiting. Talos Principle btw. does the same, but on NV and AMD.
    He wrote other stuff at 3DCenter about Pascal shader intrinsics and Async Compute in Nvidia's Vulkan driver which really sounds bad (aka not existent).
    I believe him way more than you.

There are other aspects about Nvidia's DX12/Vulkan driver which are nice though.
    They already support lots of driver features like fps limiter or forcing anisotropic filtering which AMD doesn't do. This really annoys me and makes it more attractive for me to buy a Pascal card nevertheless.

10. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Seems they are working to get async compute support on Nvidia GPU's with regard to Vulkan/Doom. They will update the link below when the issues are resolved.

Does DOOM support asynchronous compute when running on the Vulkan API?

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/54585?start=0&tstart=0

11. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    on vulkan i can even use nightmare settings on doom on a 980, and its stable 80+ fps, NIGHTMARE SETTINGS ON a 4GB card, on OPEN GL im stuck with ultra (its not bad), i can have 140+ fps on ultra on 980 with vulkan but it's nice that i can have acces to a setting that was giving me less than 30fps on openGL. And ultra nightmare shadows and textures are obvioulsy better than ultra.

And i play dota 2 at 4k 90+fps on a 980 too, drops to 65 in heavy situations like dota 2 imba 10 vs 10 and in epic boss battle mode were you can find yourself with houndreds of creeps and tons of cast/particle effects but it is fine since in dx9EX or dx11 the drops were massive to 20 fps or less.

So its a gain for me. Performance is really there even withoud the async ****

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I can vouch for the chart...I had an insane increase with Vulkan. I went from 90-110 topping off at my 144hz Gsync.

Vulkan is the real deal when implemented correctly.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    There is a 5fps increase at maxwell 980ti and 7fps with 1080gtx..

Pcgameshw.de

But what bothers me is ****ty nv driver implementation its not so smooth like opengl at @vsync.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Was more than 7 fps here. Depends on OC and rig.

Vulkan smooth as silk.

15. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    ok ok i understood you all.

wanna ask one more thing that is Vulkan have all the features that DirectX 12 has in it or Vulkan has more or less feature than DirectX 12 or its nothing like that?

16. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    You have forgotten here something about the Vulkan code in this game. Limited , very limited about what? Time to do some research for you.

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    That bench is a complete farse. Look at the GTX 1070 results.

Why are you taking that seriously? Anybody for that matter. I'm on a 1080 and had a substantial jump in Vulkan performance in Doom.

Need a credible source....surely that is not one.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So this looks like TB to you? TB is doing the opposite of what's happening in this graph.

This does influence the average fps as any frametime spike does on any h/w in any API. On the graph above you see 123,5 average fps, while on a corrected graph without heavy stuttering it's 185,2. That's 50% of performance lost in benchmarks which only show average fps. The real question here is if this is actually a driver bug or something that id is doing. I would assume that if that'd be just a driver bug, NV would've fixed it already as they are loosing a crapload of performance because of this.

I don't know the current state of async and intrinsics in NV's Vulkan driver but they are certainly there in other APIs and they in fact work there - there are many examples which show this. Saying that "it's not there" is the same as saying "we'll optimize the Vulkan renderer for AMD only then", I hope you understand that.

Could you link me to the posts you're referring to btw?

I haven't forgotten anything, and I seriously doubt that you can say anything which will be unknown to me or even just correct in general for that matter.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im talking specifically about that said bench.. And there it got 7fps by Pascal 1080GTX and 5fps by Maxwell 980TI.

Also pointing out Maxwell e.g. 980TI got a boost too, because some said there is none. Yes on midrange perf. 970/980 not much or none..

[​IMG]
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Vulkan-Benchmarks-Frametimes-1202711/

Define smooth as silk, adaptive ingame vsync, vsync on or no vsync?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  20. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    We only have one software using vulkan right now which is doom.

On my system vulkan doesnt really increase the max framerates, however I observed the overheads of turning everything up to ultra is lower on vulkan than it is on opengl.