Need a monitor that looks better or equal to my plasma TV

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by The Janitor, Oct 15, 2011.

1. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    I recently moved in to a room where my PC is close enough to my TV, so I hooked it up with a HDMI cable to see how games looked.
    I was shocked how much better it looked on the TV than the monitor, it's almost as if the lighting looked better.

So I came to the conclusion that my monitor sucks and the TV has much better qualities, but I'm not sure what exactly. Is it the contrast ratio, color depth?

My monitor: Samsung syncmaster 2053BW

My TV: Panasonic TH-37PX8E

Games that I previously thought looked ugly actually look great on the TV, Rage is a good example.
    That ugly yellow bloomy looking lighting in games transforms in to great looking lighting on the TV (kinda hard to explain, I'm a noob at this)

So my question is, is there any monitors that can achieve this look (or even better) or is it just a plasma TV thing?
    If so, what monitor would you recommend? I don't care if it's expensive I just want great quality :p

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just replace that exact monitor with a Asus VS248H-P (1080p,LED, 50k:1 contrast 250 nit brightness 2ms) PQ wise this much better handles motion better to imo. my only complaint about the monitor is there is no gamma control on it, and the monitor tends to crush blacks lil when using the splendid modes but despite that it blows the 2053BW i had away

Plasma will always have better blacks then LCD/LED better motion handling too

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    You would have to spend quite a bit getting the quality of colour you get on a plasma, that's the main selling point of them, the major downside being high power consumption (LG flat out didn't state the power consumption in on of their manuals I read) and often low resolutions (the ones coming out since 2009 at least will generally be above 1024x768 now though)

Check around review sites, some go really into depth about colour gamut

4. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    I went to a store to check out some monitors, and I noticed that all of them had the same boring matte colors as mine.
    But then I saw some laptop and mac monitors, and they had the vibrant and stong color I was looking for, but a shinier surface.

So is it the anti-glare coating that's supressing the light or what? Casue I don't have a problem with glare anyway, I can just make my room dark.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that shining coat effect its yes, I never liked they way the coating made the screen look on them tho, I wold go see check out the VS248h-p at a local store the colors are much more vibrant then they where on the 2053bw I had so much so I stopped using Digital Vibrance on my Nvidia CP with the monitor.

It wont compared to plasma but LCD/LED never will unless you have IPS panel which i think mac and decent amount of laptops screens use which will suffer from slow response times and ghosting which are not an option if you notice that kind of thing

6. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    I was just looking at asus, they seem to be the only ones without a matte suface. Maybe the VG236HE (I want 23 inch)

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    some asus have it some dont, personal I like that Non glossy screens over the glossy screens