B-Day coming, what parts should come too?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by the1nfection, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Yeah sure man, you can go ahead and check out Newegg for example for any other Mushkin ram, but try to find something that is above 1600+ (ideally). 1600s go with ok prices, 1866+ and up already gets higher. So that's where it gets a little difficult. But I'll do a quick search myself there see if I find anything..

The cheapest I could find was 79$ so that wouldn't work I'm afraid, but anyways those G.Skill 2x2GB 1866 sticks are just as good, if not better! :) (And besides this is like the only thing you can go for right now given the price)

But yeah, anyways, have fun, don't drink too much and happy birthday dude! :D

:)

edit:

Damn dude Anarion found something really good, that board seems to be uber decent, coupled with those Vulcan ram sticks, you'll save up $30! :D I would say go for it.

And yeah as for the OC, a bit offtopic.. I managed hit 4.4 @ 1.27v, with High LLC (or Turbo LLC, don't remember) although it didn't seem to be fully stable.

I did manage to do a 3dmark2013 run with it and an IntelBurnTestV2 run with priority on "High" and on 4 threads.

That seemed to pass but it crashed on 3dmark11, so I'm guessing it's not fully stable. I know I should use Prime95 and run blend or small ffts for a few hours but I'm too lazy for that and don't have the time for it.

I got 4.2 @ 1.23v stable though, it managed to do the test on Very High Priority.. been running that now (and it seems fully stable) but I'd want to get it higher. Also a 1.27v increase for 200MHz is kinda hard to believe (damn it gets hot). I've not gotten the Dark Knight yet but I'll order soon.

Still haven't made up my mind though on the Dark Knight or Aegir.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    okay... So ive just been told that an brand new intel I7 960 is coming in the next few days. When i asked about my RAM not being compatable they said not to worry. Then i mentioned the sockets beign different. "DONT WORRY" then i asked about the PSU. Again "dont worry". when prompted about my HDD being IDE he said "750 GB SATA drive. Problem solved."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I am sooo happy right now i could **** a brick. Ill post up the actual specs when it arrives, but my Brother-in-law, who is a god with CPU's, and taught me how to overclock, ordered everything, so i know it'll be good.

The only problem is that over the next few days im going to literally DIE waiting for this thing to arrive.

Why is Super Pi not relevant anymore? it seems to benchmark really well on my Opteron, and gives me a quantifiable total of my improvement while OCing. at ve3ry least it still applies on my opteron cause its from 2007, the age where super pi was still relevant.

lastly.... thats not a bad OC, but you should keep it at the 4.2. Im sure you already know, but upping voltage EXPONENTIALLY ups temps, and upping MHz ups temps as well, but much less. That heat costs of that 200 MHz + voltage increase is not worth the heat it generates, so you should DEF wait until you get a new HS to try going past the 4.2 you hit.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    SuperPi only runs on a single core so yeah it's more suited to older CPU's....it's OK for comparing results on the same processor though.

I use HyperPi which loads all cores, similar to P95 but not as stressful.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I ran an opty 170 at 2.8ghz for years, you should be able to up the clock on that 165

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Looks like everything went better than expected! Oh, and SuperPI is the last tool you want to use for stability test these days. It doesn't say anything about system stability even if you run many instances at once. I personally trust Prime95, latest version really squeezes the juice from modern CPUs (supports AVX too).

@Deathchild
    Daymn... You have a bad rock there. Mine does 4,3 GHz rock stable with HT enabled without touching 1,2v (I use offset based voltage tweaking).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm managing similar, albeit without the HT. I think 4.4 is doable for Death, but once you start upping voltages with Ivy temps skyrocket. Not worth it until he has a newer cooler as temps will be too high / throttling will come into effect.

@Death: I'd flip a coin mate. Or get whichever costs less, you're not going to be breaking records either way.

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah.. I guess you're right. But people have been saying that the Aegir is a tiny bit better. So I think I'll go with that. Besides, although there is a 30$ difference between the two at Newegg, there's a 3.50€ ($4.56) difference here. o_O Strange.

Getting the Aegir anyways, damn.. it's huge. Need to see if the farther memory slots will fit.. as it takes up the 1st slot adjacent to it.

Yeah... it's strange, kinda wish I'd have a golden chip so I could be running 4.7GHz easy on this. Turns out it's not. It just doesn't want to be stable after 4.4 whatever voltage I give to it.. Well I'm sure something like 1.29v would work but isn't that too much already? Kinda feels like I have some super crappy ASIC chip lol. :D I've tried everything and it feels like nothing works. Besides I don't really know what specific settings to change, and when, when something goes wrong. Well I do but.. just sometimes it's confusing, too many different variables. :D

Also, how have you guys set up your OCs? Darkest, care to elaborate? :D

I'm more interested in the offset thing, to give the cpu a more sustainable way of life, lol. :D Maybe you could post your settings, together with LLC and everything, and maybe I'll start from there?

Right now anyways I got LLC on auto, vcore 1.235v, all power saving options enabled/auto: EIST, C1E, C3/C6 and so on. Turbo mode disabled, everything else is on auto.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ok I managed to get 4.4 running with a +0.010 dvid offset, vcore at "Normal".

LLC on auto, power saving features on except for C3/C6 states,

OCed memory to 2000MHz, upped the voltage to 1.53v (athough sticks at 1.51v), loosened timings to 10-11-10-30 from 9-10-9-27 @ 1.5v.

Do you guys think this memory voltage increase is necessary? +loosening those timings? Cause I only did it as a precaution.. don't want the system not to boot, don't wanna go through the process of.. I don't know, fixing things again. :D

But anyways here's a little 3dmark run I did, 1250/1700, 4.4GHz, mem at 2000, max temp of 71c, 74c, 74c, 72c celsius on all cores.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6479404
    1205/1700 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6480157

Sorry don't mean to steal the topic infection! :D Pardon me please.

9. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    So... im not sure why you guys think im using superpi to test for stability, cause im not. I use it as a measure of how my CPU is doing speed wise, then run P95 for stability. I would grab hyperpi, but im not even going to bother until my new CPU arrives. And i use the modded version 1.5, which uses both cores, however it switches between them as needed to ge tthe best results. It isnt the BEST test, but at this point i dont care. NEW CPU! XD

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, awesome stuff man! :D Can't wait for you to get your new parts! :D

I rearranged my PC as well, big cable management. I'll post some pics in the 1000mhz topic.