'No Mans Sky' possible tearing fix (needs corroboration)...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ReaperXL2, Aug 26, 2016.

1. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Hey Peeps...

Today I got seriously pissed at the screen tearing whilst playing NMS & promptly rage quit the game...

Whilst sat glaring at my Steam UI I thought to myself "why the F*ck can they not fix this?"...

Then I considered the usual triple buffer fix for this kind of issue (crimson gaming control panel) & how it does not seem to work in this instance... I then decided it's not working, turn it off, so I did...

Booted back into 'No Mans Sky', HOLY SH*T !!! Screen tearing is fixed !!!

Quickly ran through every possible setting variation I could think of (Vsync tested on/off through every setting) & regardless of Vsync setting, there was & there is STILL NO SCREEN TEARING !!! :banana:

I am currently running at 4K vsr with all settings maxed except Aliasing which is set at FXAA... Getting around 45 -62 fps depending on location & activity...

This disabling of Triple Buffering in Crimson control panel has made an unplayable game (aesthetically at least) extremely pleasant on the eye now :eek: but I need others to try this & corroborate the fix so we can get it out to the NMS community globally...

No wonder the Devs are having an issue fixing this ! The issue is with AMD Crimson NMS ready driver ffs!!!

Awaiting feedback by other NMS players running AMD crimson...

Peace Peeps :thumbup:

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you force Vsync through the Crimson control panel, it works. Triple Buffering works too, but you have to combine it with vsync otherwise you still get tearing. The only non-enforceable thing is Antialiasing. The driver is actually fine, considering what a bad port the game is.

3. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Hi @PR,

Just double checked my Crimson settings... Global :Vsync off (not forced), triple buffer OGL off, Anti Alias set to game choice... No NMS profile set...

In game Vsync off, Alias set to FXAA, everything else maxed...

Game settings XML also corresponds to in-game settings correctly...

Screen tearing occurs for me with any setting that includes triple buffering on...

Turn that one setting off, issue solved without touching anything else, so I still think the issue is with the driver as opposed to the game...

I do however respect what you say as I do have limited experience with nailing AMD driver bugs...

Peace bro :thumbup:

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Are you running the game in Borderless? Which version of Windows? With the settings you say and in Fullscreen mode the game should tear. It's interesting actually.

5. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    For me, default profile did nothing in crimson panel.

I had to create new profile manually pointing it directly to NMS.exe and only then all changes started working as intended. I have successfully forced v-sync, triple buffering and anisotropic filtering.

6. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Hey @Pr,

I am running latest Win10 x64 (anniversary fully updated). Game is running full screen...

If I try & capture my in-game settings screen, the game minimizes so the settings are listed below...

Crimson CP settings (no NMS profile set)...

Crimson CP Image : http://imgur.com/ELZ4a5X

In Game settings...
    -----------------------

Window Mode : FullScreen

monitor : Primary

Resolution : 2560x1440 (4k vsr is too jittery)

V-sync : Off

Anti-Aliasing : FXAA

FOV on foot : 75

FOV in ship : 75

Gamma : 128

Annisotropic : x16

Texture : High

Shadow : Ultra

Generation : High

Reflect : High

HUD : On

Max FPS : Max

Tested again 5 minutes ago, still running flawelessly...

So, a penny for your thoughts on this dude :3eyes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes, I should have mentioned that. I'm using a profile on Crimson for the game, I'm not sure it works with the global one.

I'm using a profile for NMS.exe in Crimson, I should mention that. Our settings apart from that are identical. If the game runs well for you don't touch the settings. I would only recommend to you to lower the shadows. From Ultra to High the differences are minimal but the performance cost is not.

8. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

@Pr, thanx for the shadow advice... Gained me 11fps would you believe :banana:

Game has now grown from 'Complete Failure' into a smooth running, great looking game... Now we just wait for content updates, only then will we be truly 'Cooking with gas' hehehe...

Always feels good when the 'Guru Crew' nail some gaming issues, for real...

Peace bro :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  9. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Will try this when i get home tonight.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Try renaming the .exe to Doomx64.exe.