Why did I buy a Samsung M.2 :(

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hammie, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I bought a 950 Pro 512GB while back ago, little did I know you need a slot on your motherboard, but I saw there selling brackets where you put the M.2 stick on it and connect to pci 3.0 port . Did that...... Its the same speed right now as my 850 pro ,,,,,I could have spent that money on a video card update shez

So you need a X99 I have a X79 ,,,,, I got a ASUS hyper kit put it in slow put the M.2 in it and ya same performance as my 850 pro... sad....soo much potential 2500mbps but to no avail......:bang:

2. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah, real world performance, meaning everyday usage I've also found you don't notice much difference. Although I do notice some games benefiting from it and loading faster. Work applications that are heavy on usage benefit more noticeably as well. One nice bonus is more headroom in read and write speed, as performance degrades over time there will be less of an impact vs the lower read/write of your standard ssd.

3. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
  4. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Thats odd, I would of thought it would run like normal via the PCIE 3.0, Is it because the BIOS lacks the NVMe module? Im assuming you can boot from it and you have installed all the latest drivers/bios updates needed?

I seen people mod their bios to support NVMe based M.2 drives

http://www.overclock.net/t/1571271/tutorial-how-to-add-nvme-support-on-any-ami-uefi-bios-with-an-intel-chipsethttp://www.overclock.net/t/1571271/tutorial-how-to-add-nvme-support-on-any-ami-uefi-bios-with-an-intel-chipset

Might be worth checking out.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

5. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Don't feel bad buddy. I too have the 950 Pro, and even with my X99 board etc. etc., my 950 is NO faster than my previous SSD, the 840 Pro. It takes a full minute or more just to re- boot, and even longer to power up. I'm hoping it's a Samsung driver, or mobo bios issue that simply needs to be updated. I hope.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No way it takes 1 full min to boot to windows.
    Unless you are including post time(which will take a much longer time on X99 platform due to memory training)

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Click re-start to reboot, then wait 70 sec. to get to desk top. From cold start, takes even longer. I've tried everything I know to get my rig booting up like my RIVE build. No luck so far.

8. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I have a 950 Pro 512GB. On Windows 10 pro I just measured 33 seconds from hitting reset back to the desktop with no hourglass. This is using a timer traceable to NIST.

And I do not have fast boot enabled in the BIOS.

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"

No I didn't But whwen I go to Crystal Disk Info it says NVME and all that good stuff.

I still need driver if soo,, Deal me in....

10. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I was having the same problem and it was a hard drive causing the slow down I unhooked the drive that was going bad and 15 second start up time.

11. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Yikes, shuldlnt take a minute mre like 10 secnds.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Bah. Just put 64GB of RAM on your machine and everything is gonna get cached anyway after first read from disk :p

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    THIS, for some weird reason when I have fast boot enabled in uefi the boot takes a LOT longer, cold boot and restarts both. With it off, I get like 1 loop of Windows loading tops and the bulk of the time is due to X99 post. And I only have a regular SSD...

14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"

just FYI, Im a Music Producer. I use Sonar Platinum ,,,,,,,,,,, my projects at times have used 37GB RAM,

yes caching powns....High cache with ssd = uber :bang:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, ive just added an Asus nvme card to my system for my Samsung Evo 256gb and I'm nearly getting 2000mb/s seq read 1400+ write on pci-e 3.0 x4, I get 1200/1000 on pci-e 2 and 750/650 on m.2 slot.