Samsung 950 pro Writing problems

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Fyew-jit-tiv, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Last year i built an X99 system for general browsing playing games and the odd quick fire photoshop projects. I dont really use this system alot as i have 2 others that pretty much running everyday.

My problem. Samsung 950 Pro .M2 256GB

Early Feb i updated to samsung magician v5 but noticed that a wopping 6tb written to the drive (games and other big files are written/stored to another drive) now cosidering i dont really use this system alot it came as a supprised so i decided to keep an eye. 3hrs ago the system was sitting idel (disconnected from network) i had checked the drive i was at 6.1TB looked back 2+ hrs later and wow 6.3TB now shows in SM. Now for the life of me i cannot work out why this is happening which leads me to 1 of 3 possibilities. 1. The drive is failing (no signs of slow downs or any other problems) 2. Samsung Magician is at fault or 3. Samsung is either covering something up with these drives or possibly fabricating the results somehow.

Has anyone else with these drives noticed this?

Thanks.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can spy after file/disk activities in Resource monitor to verify.

3. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    Hey, I never heard of this problem with this exact disk before.
    Do you use some special AV application?
    I would try process explorer and keep an eye on the writes. Failing is unlikely, since this SSD is super stable and has superior quality. It's no sandforce^^

4. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    I re-installed the OS yesterday (thursday). Nothing running but Samsung Magician. Checked before OS install drive was @ 6.4TB and checked this morning drive now @ 6.5TB. Thats 100GB (give of take) over night with just a bareboned OS. Something is UP. I have tried watching the processes for an about hour and seen nothing. SO this is happening either whilst the system is idle or the drive readings are lying to me:bang:

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If Resource monitor shows no activity but Samsung software states increase in written bytes then it is bugged.

6. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    The things is whilst watching processes for periods of time there isnt any writes (outside the norm). Seems this is only happening whilst the system is idle. I did think there might be something wrong with Sam'M v5 but no one else has reported this which make me doubt that. I am thinking it mybe chipset related so i have ordered an Asus Hyper M.2 X4 mini which arrives tomorrow. Now im hoping this will tell me if there is a problem somewhere on the M.2 bus. We'll see. Ill update my findings tommorrow.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Scenario with chipset or bus being responsible sounds impossible to me. It is the same as if we accuse disk itself in writing info on its own will.
    Btw have you checked firmware updates for the drive?
    I strongly suspect that this "written" info is calculated from S.M.A.R.T. data provided by disk.

8. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    I hear you dude. none of this makes any sense to me at all. Im just trying different things. Buying the .m2 hyper kit doesnt come at a loss because i just found out that this boards (X99-M W) .m2 slot only runs at x2 so the 950 isnt running at full speed anyways. using the hyper kit will confirm that this isnt a chipset problem (i freaking hope so) and also allow the system to run the drive at x4 speeds. and Yes i have updated the firmware.

9. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    I'll have to check mine when I get home...
    I don't usually use samsung magician though so I've not done any firmware updates or anything

10. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Yo dude. Long time no hear. shout me sometime. Not using skype anymore and dont have your number. Shout me when you can.

11. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Looks like it was windows 10 defraging my Drive. installed new OS and not seen any majors writes outside the norm for past week (been running previous install for well over a yr). This GUYS artical was one of many i came across that got the old brain cells moving.

12. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    An artical from Micrsoft i just found.

Storage Optimizer will defrag an SSD once a month if volume snapshots are enabled. This is by design and necessary due to slow volsnap copy on write performance on fragmented SSD volumes. It’s also somewhat of a misconception that fragmentation is not a problem on SSDs. If an SSD gets too fragmented you can hit maximum file fragmentation (when the metadata can’t represent any more file fragments) which will result in errors when you try to write/extend a file. Furthermore, more file fragments means more metadata to process while reading/writing a file, which can lead to slower performance.

As far as Retrim is concerned, this command should run on the schedule specified in the dfrgui UI. Retrim is necessary because of the way TRIM is processed in the file systems. Due to the varying performance of hardware responding to TRIM, TRIM is processed asynchronously by the file system. When a file is deleted or space is otherwise freed, the file system queues the trim request to be processed. To limit the peek resource usage this queue may only grow to a maximum number of trim requests. If the queue is of max size, incoming TRIM requests may be dropped. This is okay because we will periodically come through and do a Retrim with Storage Optimizer. The Retrim is done at a granularity that should avoid hitting the maximum TRIM request queue size where TRIMs are dropped.