Windows 10 refresh rate issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by brutlern, Aug 20, 2015.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    100 gives you two decimal points, 1000 gives you three. With denominator 1000 you can cap with 0.001FPS accuracy, with 100 you can with 0.01FPS accuracy.

So just use 1000.

The best way to cap is to find out your exact refresh using vsynctester.com. The first three decimals are the important ones (59.xxx). Then, subtract 0.006 from it, and use that. Since we're using three decimals here, we need denominator 1000 in RTSS.

Example:

vsynctester.com says "59.947251Hz". We only care about the first three decimals, so that's "59.947". From that, we subtract 0.006:

59.947 - 0.006 = 59.941

So we want to cap to 59.941FPS in RTSS. To do that, we use:

Code:
    [Framerate]
    Limit=59941
    LimitDenominator=1000

Then you set "maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1 in the nvidia panel, and enable vsync (in-game or in the nvidia panel, shouldn't matter.)

This is how you get the lowest possible input lag with vsync.

If you don't use vsync, then YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY OF THE ABOVE. This is ONLY for when you want to use vsync.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Ok I understand.

For me it's 59.999 so it's funky just 59.994

https://i.screenshot.net/0o6q6by

3. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    i dont have any issue related to this topic. but is setting fps cap that precise needed really? i always set the cap within the RTSS UI to 60.

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I'm using RTSS 7.0.0 Beta 19 but my profiles notepad don't have LimitDenominator.

e.g.

[Framerate]
    Limit=60

5. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    Win 10 Creators doesn't recognize custom refresh rates set in the Nvidia control panel.

Under Windows monitor properties, the custom refresh rate doesn't appear in the drop down box for refresh rates.

6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    You just add it.

And RTSS will change from 60 fps to number with more numbers like instead 60 it will be 6000 depends if you put 1000 or 100 then 600

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yes, it's needed. Otherwise the game doesn't hit the FPS cap and it fills up the frame buffers. Meaning input lag will spike. If for example, three buffers are filled at 60Hz, that's a total input lag of 50ms + the current frame (so between 50ms and 67ms.) It can be even higher with a >1 "max pre-rendered frames" setting (which is why setting to 1 helps a lot with input lag.)

This effect is known as "vsync backpressure." Making sure the FPS cap is hit makes sure you don't run into this effect, since the frame limiter blocks the game, preventing it from rendering additional frames. No additional frames means the buffers stay empty, which in turn means your input lag is only going to oscillate between 0 and 1 frame (0 to 17ms for 60Hz monitors). Or between 0 and 2 frames (0 to 33ms) *at most*, which is still much better than 50ms or 67ms.

Setting it too low on the other hand (59FPS) will result in a "hiccup" every second.

Finding out your *exact* refresh rate and capping to very slightly below it (0.006FPS will do the job) will make sure the game WILL hit the cap, and the result of that is that the game is prevented from filling up its internal or external frame buffers. That gives the least amount of input lag. But since the cap is only very slightly below the refresh, it also means there's no hiccups every second. You get once hiccup over several dozens of seconds, but that gets lost in the game's frame time variance noise.

Btw, if you have G-Sync or Freesync, none of that is needed. Just cap to whatever you please. This is only for vsync on a fixed refresh rate.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Ye, after I did that Ori and the Blind of the forest works with Vsync with no Stuttering at all !! with or without Vsync without liming the game stuttering like crazy if it's randomly even when FPS is 60 Steady all the times. even limiting to 60 fps didn't work. but only the way he set it worked.

Thank You Realnc !!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's another thing a frame cap can potentially fix. Some games have poor frame pacing. They do output 60FPS, but the timing between each frame is not constant, and that results in stutter.

Using RTSS in this manner can result in the game delivering each frame at a more constant pace, which fixes this kind of stutter. Fallout 4 was known to suffer from this in fullscreen mode, and (to a lesser extend) Witcher 3 too. And many Unity-based games.

This is not something that RTSS can fix 100% though. But it can make it better.

10. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    What should I do with my Laptop Gsync ? what's the best way to use it ? Same way ? it's 100 Hz monitor

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    When using G-Sync mode, all you need is cap to 97FPS to stay within G-Sync range. That's it.

If the game has a built-in frame limiter, use that instead. Built-in limiters have lower latency compared to RTSS.

You can read more about the "G-Sync range" in this article, and find out more about capping your FPS when using G-Sync in this post.

12. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread---and my monitor is connected via HDMI for reference..

See, i know Microsoft has claimed that they "fixed" the 59/60 issue with windows 8+, but I've never had any problems whatsoever using the "Broken" 60hz setting in Windows 7 with either DX9 or DX10+ games. And you didnt get that really annoying power save flicker when Alt-Tabbing or loading some games that trigger that "compatibility layer" switch in win 8+.

Windows 7, in my experience, did it right, and 8+ does it wrong. I guess I've just never come across the apps/games that had problems with the way 7 handled 59/60hz.