Low FPS in any Valve Source Games

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Super Mario, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Super Mario

Super Mario Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2GB
    Hello my friends, when using Rivatuner, I get low fps when using the mouse in any Valve Source Engine games. I'm not recording. Just showing the FPS.

I did use the search feature on this forum and also searched Google but couldn't find the issue.

I tried various different settings with no luck. ei changing the rendering method, shadow on/off, etc

Any information you need, please ask. :pc1:

I'm not necessarily looking for a fix; if there's an explanation but no fix, that'll do.

My work around is to shut off application detection while the game is open. Rivatuner seems to continue to work with that program as it had already detected it. This removes the lag when using the mouse issue.

The games run great, I get amazing FPS in Valve games but when I start looking around the FPS will just drop to 0-20 FPS when it was just going over 100FPS+ (I use the FPS limiter usually though when recording with Rivatuner)

The issue is only when Rivatuner is in use. If the program closed or if the App detection setting is off, the games will run as they should.

I tried different graphics settings in the games.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    why are you using riva tuner? try MSI afterburner, a much more up to date application.

and for video recording, use nvidia's own shadowplay.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    He is probably talking about Afterburner, and he can't use Shadowplay without Kepler/Maxwell

Try turning off Steam overlay and fps limiter

4. Super Mario

Super Mario Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2GB
    Thank you for the suggestions but I already tried these.

As for the other person, as stated, my hardware is not compatible with Shadowplay. MSI Afterburner has RivaTuner built in, I thought that this thread was for the RivaTuner part of the program.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You can try using Dxtory(or Action!) for game recording while fixing your Afterburner/Rivatuner.

http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

And try using "Afterburner" string instead of "Rivatuner" when searching the web for fix.

6. Super Mario

Super Mario Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2GB
    Thank you for the alternatives; I'll take a peak at them right away. I actually did use "afterburner" as a search term when searching the internet. Google runs in such a way that the more common comes first. My answer maybe somewhere on the internet, I just haven't found it yet. I've used many different search terms as well as using specific games in the valve line up to try to find a solution without even a similar problem.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    it migt be an will be the grafic card doin a pause in the update i dont get it on my card byt i am different (diff card 8) you will need to got a different card from are shop maybe an it will owrk poerperly (nvidia) for more FPS

8. Super Mario

Super Mario Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2GB
    But my nVidia GTX 550 ti is more than capable of performing well with the source engine based games. I run most of the source games at 200fps+ on the highest settings. (Without anti aliasing. I never liked anti aliasing)