FFVII : PC Version

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TenderSurrender, May 6, 2006.

1. TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender Master Guru

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    Ok just found my ** OLD ** version of the game and installed it. However since the days of when i used to play it, pcs have definitly evolved and i think thats the issue.

It plays all the videos fine but as soon as the FMVs have finished, i just get a black screen. The game is still responding since the dialog boxes still appear like the first one you see after cloud jumps off the train "Hey newcomer, come with me" or w/e barret says.

However if you press "ok" on that nothing happens. it just stays black.

Ive installed the XP patch which includes the work around for the failing test of 8bit pallated textures but it still doesnt work!

Any ideas gurus?

~~ TS ~~

2. TenderSurrender

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    Just thinking, should i just use an emulator and run it?

~~ TS ~~

3. TenderSurrender

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    Ok ive got the PC version working but no matter what resoluition i choose, it looks terrible (pixelated) SO what emulator is best suited for running JUST FFVII (wont be emulating any other PSone games)

~~ TS ~~

4. TenderSurrender

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    Ok since theres been no replys, ive just tried stuff out myself.

Im using epsxe and after messing with the settings i now have a nice FFVII emulator *grins*

However me being the fussy guy that i am, want it to be perfect. The only thing thats bugging me currently is where my cd drive spins down, it causes the game to lag when something is loaded from the disc via emulator.
    Once the disc has spun up everything returns to normal so the question is, what can i do to stop the disc spinning down ONLY whilst using the emulator.

Is there a command line switch or something i can use that attaches itself to the .exe of the emulator so that cd drive spin down is disabled?

~~ TS ~~

5. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    I recommend making an ISO with Alcohol120%, and then using the Run ISO option with ePSXe. Although this will use quite a bit of hard drive space, you won't get CD drive related issues.

As a side note, it is possible to get the PSX version looking fairly good when using the OpenGL2 plugin. Here are some settings you can use:

http://forums.ngemu.com/plugin-questions-troubleshooting/45533-ff7-ogl2-configs.html

6. TenderSurrender

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    Ill look at those settings now, Im using petes OpenGL2 plugin so fingers crossed xD

I just tried making an ISO but when i ran it, it doesnt work, only works when i use the orignal disc in the drive (psone ) *shouts at it*

Im sure i remember reading somewhere there was a away of disabling cd spindown..

~~ TS ~~

7. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    yeah i think the PSX version running on ePSXe is a better choice, backed up by OpenGL2 plugin, it will look really nice and less pixelated. It makes good use of that vertex and fragment shader (Pixel and Vertex Shader 2.0) our cards are capable of (custom shader plugins).
    You also may wanna use Aldo's Iso Producer, to make image the CD's so it will not tax the cd drive and load faster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TenderSurrender

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    That looks awsome, everytime i change the settings to somethign more demanding though, it tends to just hang :(

Well time for more configuring/Beating with a big stick :D

Cheers guys!

~~ TS ~~

9. TenderSurrender

GPU:
    6600GT/Onboard
    Hey guys!!

My current graphics config for this are...

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    GFX card: GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
    - 1280x1024 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 1
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off
    - No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: on
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer effects: 3
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: on [00000002]

---------------------

Any suggestions on how to improve it? im gettin a constant 50fps so ive clearly still got room to manover

~~ TS ~~

10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    try not to set the Y/X resolution to Ultra high as it might not fit all within the vram (causes some instabilities too, only made for really powerfull cards), Very High X/Y internal resolution (4096x4096 textures) looks nice enough.

try to set the framebuffer effects to its default settings (unless specified in the readme of the plugin)

oh yeah, i forgot, ePSXe 1.60 is quite buggy for some reason for other games specially for chrono cross, version 1.52 is better for FF7 imo.

if you want some custom shaders (cell shading, HQ2X filter, bloom effect) you may wanna check this forum.
    http://www.razyboard.com/system/forum-pete_bernert-ogl2shaders-266904.html

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    For those interested, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-21-final-fantasy-7-coming-to-steam-leak-suggests

Mods - http://arquivoencontrado.blogspot.co.nz/2010/09/final-fantasy-vii-pc-version.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  12. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
  13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Don't click the pictures, you can't go back.

"That site is retard" lol

14. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    The company already has highly detailed assets for majority of the main characters in FF7, 3D models, Textures etc.. (from the movie, Vincent's Cerberus game, Crisis Core on PSP etc)

They should utilize the above to remake Final Fantasy VII using the new Luminous Engine for PC, it would be great. It could match and maybe surpass the movie Advent Children in visual fidelity-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvkhALO49X0

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    And it'll be announced for the 20th Anniversary in 2017, delayed until the 25th anniversary in 2022 :)

16. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I bought this a long time ago for the PC, threw it away. When they ported it they just stretched the maps with no tweaking to make the scaling look nice so the game looked hideous.

I vaguely recall the video crash being related to codecs, but it's been years. If I'm remembering rightly downloading a codec pack fixed it.

17. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Isn't there an Ultima version of the game that makes it works on today's PC's? Either way, I think that using an emulator would still be the best way to play this game.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    better off finding an original pc version then using the 1.2 patch (its official edios) then using ff7_opengl-0.7.9b mod + Final_Fantasy_VII_Remix_v2-5-1_Installer. - These two mods pretty much setup everything for you all you have to do is set you res.

Playing it now, so awesome.:)

Ultima is glitchy from what I've read, and you cant mod it.

19. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i tried playing the pc version but the sound was missing on some crucial parts of the game (when you know who dies) and i felt like i had been cheated.

might pick up where i left off just to say "I DID IT" but what i should do is just download epsxe and play the original ;/

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The remix installer includes the remastered sound/music, it replaces the midi tracks + it includes a config to let you put your own mp3's in-place of chosen track.

COOOOLLL AYE, I clapped like an seal on acid.