Help Finding a Case

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tyler Dalton, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Ok, so I currently have an Antec 902 case. The front panel has started vibrating and other little things that make me want to upgrade. My only problem has been finding a case that meets my needs. One of the biggest sticking points is proper dust filters, my case sits on a carpeted floor and we have indoor animals, so dust filters are a must. When I say dust filters I don't mean the crap like what comes with the HAF 922 that my brother has. I'm looking for a case that has removable (preferably washable) dust filters like my current case. It doesn't have to be super quiet, but I don't really want it screaming like a banshee either. Cooling wise I would like it to be at least close to my Antec 902. It can be a large mid-tower or a full-size; price isn't a huge concern although I would like to keep it below $200. I've did a lot of research and can't find a case suitable, hopefully some of you guys can help with suggestions.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even those cases with removable filters, you will probably find some are fixed. Usually the power supply and front fans etc may be filtered, additional inlet fans like the side ones (if there is a filter at all) wll likely to be screwed in.

3. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I’d personally recommend the Corsair Obsidian 650d, meets all your criteria.

One of the best cases I’ve owned and\or worked on.

4. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    How easy is that front filter to clean?

5. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I have been looking at the Antec P280 and then Antec Eleven Hundred, does anyone own one of those and can comment?

6. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Front intake filter uses a spring-lock mechanism and is very easy to remove n’ clean (access\removal is done from the outside of the case); it does an excellent job keeping out even the finest of dust. I’m big on keeping the dust out of my own system and this was something I considered at the time of purchase.

PSU intake also has a filter that slides in and out from the back, also works very well but I have basically no dust coming in at this entry point as my system isn’t on the floor and the PSU fan RPM is always low.

Corsair Obsidian 650d (my personal pick)
    Antec P280 (also good, personally like the 650d better)
    Antec Eleven Hundred (personally dislike this case, lots of other forum members like it tho)

7. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Do you use the stock fans? How loud is it and how is the cooling? I'm looking at pictures of the front filter, and does the filter and the front mesh come apart? It seems it would be difficult to wash the front filter if it doesn't come off of the mesh.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I never used the stock case fans; the front was replaced with a BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm Red LED and the rear was replaced with a Zalman ZM F3 120mm Red LED. The top 200mm was replaced by the H100 stock fans.

Noise and cooling is the best I’ve had and as good as any other system I’ve seen, in fact, it is so good, I have no reason to tweak or up-grade any further.

I’m a bit OCD when it comes to dust… I use a vacuum with a bush attachment daily just to clean off the outside of the front intake filter. When I do the weekly cleaning, I’ll remove the front filter and blow it out with my compressor… there is never dust on the inside of my machine and never spend more than a couple of minutes cleaning. The filter could be removed but not easily, you would have to bend the metal mesh to remove it; there really is no need to remove and wash, just vacuum and\or air clean.

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Haven't owned either but based on reviews (user and professional), both are awesome cases. If you want great cooling but don't mind a bit of noise, get 1100. If you want lower noise and don't mind a bit higher temps, get P280. Apart from that and their external looks, there are few differences between the cases.

10. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    You can buy different fans and filters. Don't think your limited on cases because it might not come with a filter.

I use the replaceable foam filters, but instead of foam I use hepa pre filter cut to shape. The thicker carbon ones. You get a big chunk for 10 bucks, makes around 30 filter pads (120 mm) Best material I've found so far for dust and odors :)

11. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I've never found a non integrated filter that is easy to access and clean.

12. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    You can easily vacuum clean any filter through the mesh on the fan slot

13. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
  14. LogiTekkers

LogiTekkers Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX SLi
    I can highly recommend the P280. Plenty of room to work with without it being too big a case, dust filters work well and are very easy to remove and clean. Great build quality compared to my old antec300. Cooling is fantastic for a 'quiet case', all you need to do is install two front intake fans and temps/noise is very good. The sound dampened front door really makes a difference to the overall noise output. Cable routing is top notch.

Any questions about it feel free to ask :)

**great unboxing video of p280 here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwvek4tDf8

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012