HDMI over CAT5E,CAT6

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by anticupidon, May 21, 2016.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am asked to feed 4 TVs with HMDI signal coming from a Sky box.
    A good quality 4-way splitter is about to be purchased, but i am lost a bit using 25 m HMDI cables.
    I found out that there are HMDI over Ethernet extenders...anyone can give some advices about those, or about the whole thing ?

2. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    We use VGA extenders at work - the video input goes into a box, CAT5 comes out the other side for the distance to another little box, out of which comes the video. Magenta has treated us well, and Extron hasn't been too bad. I imagine the HDMI ones work largely the same way. These are powered, so you'll want an AC outlet near the source and destination for them. They also push audio, although we don't use it.

3. InfinityX

InfinityX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    I use 'HDMI Ethernet Baluns' at work to manage connections between an HDMI matrix and four Epson HD projectors. The baluns work great and retain the original HD video source quality. I use CAT6, but there is no reason not to use CAT5e. Distance before degradation is about 40m in my experience, but the specs usually say 50m.

Each Balun is powered, so take that into consideration, and some models also support IR modules/probes so you can control them remotely, if you have the baluns stashed in a floor or ceiling void.

Google Neet Cables HDMI Extender Baluns. About £40 a pair on Amazon.