MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    GPU Usage in the OSD is always stuck at 16% for me. Using a Gigabyte RX 570

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    An update to this:

Jorim from the blur busters team now did some actual latency tests to see whether throttling the game (including RTSS) by frame limiting reduces latency. The result is positive (meaning 130FPS capped with RTSS has less input lag than 130FPS uncapped.)

So if RTSS had an option to throttle the game by a set amount, regardless of what the current frame rate of the game is, it seems this would give an overall input lag decrease. It is expected that this decrease would be bigger in other games; the test was for Overwatch, which is already very latency-optimized. Most games are not (in fact, most become latency hogs once they max out the GPU,) and thus the benefit should in theory be even more substantial in those games.

Drimzi likes this.
  3. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Had trouble with some apps not opening. Sony Vegas, FTX Central and some others would not open when clicked on. I sent problem to support for these apps and found out MSI Afterburner was the problem.

Now when I want to open one of those apps I have to shut down Afterburner and then restart when done with the app.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If you're under Creators Update, upgrade RTSS to v7.0.0.

5. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Thanks, that fixed it :)

6. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    I gonna report a old issue which dont appear to be fixed in video recording. When recording with NVENC/Quicksync sometimes AB causes wrong chroma glitches on some specific regions. Tiny colored lines are where its noticeable to happen. Normally the correct color is changed to "grey" color. This color glitch is noticeable too in OSD graph. This problem dont occur with x264vfw YUV420.

Another issue if i can call that way is than AB YUV420 for NVENC,Quicksync and x264vfw output bt601 as standard but they're not tagged so players guess wrong colors bt709 for HD footage. x264vfw has advanced settings to configure colormatrix then is possible to tag and output bt709 instead bt601, but for Quicksync and NVENC is not possible in Afterburner.

Take a look in grey color issue with BF4 red lines graph, NVENC is worse than Quicksync.

AB NVENC graph lines glitch: http://i.imgur.com/A0kpQj1.png

AB Quicksync graph lines glitch: http://i.imgur.com/LoxkkXv.png

AB x264vfw standard no color glitch: http://i.imgur.com/q0mJYWe.png

AB x264vfw with tagged bt709 color: http://i.imgur.com/db3VP9E.png

Notice than NVENC, QS, x264vfw standard all display colors incorrectly because player guess it would be bt709 but they're 601. In last image x264vfw i forced bt709 in advanced settings and player show correct colors because now they're tagged in file.

There will be nice if you can tag colormatrix in NVENC and Quicksync to avoid players guessing bt709 and displaying wrong colors.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. propeldragon

propeldragon Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti
    My cpu clock is spiking like crazy, 1200mhz to 4300mhz. It will do this at idle and during gaming sessions. I downloaded the new version of msi afterburner and its new features allows you to view cpu clock rates. any help would be appreciated. This is with afterburner version 4.4.0 beta 10 and rivatuner 7 beta 23. thanks

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why is this an AB issue?

This thread is for AB issues, not for issues with your CPU.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why is this an issue at all? Modern CPUs change their clocks according to load.

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Not sure the exact issue of this but what causes Afterburner to not allow you to take screenshots when other keyboard buttons are pressed? Any time I'm crouched in Crysis I cannot snap a screenshot. It also cannot be the keyboard as it is a Steelseries Apex M800...

11. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I would think, because shift+key or ctrl+key is something different than just key

12. propeldragon

propeldragon Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Well if you read my statement this started happening after i updated my msi afterburner. Wondering if its not reading the numbers correctly? Side note this new version of rivatuner broke uplay overlay (cant shift+f2 in game) but if you add uplay to rivatuner it fixed it.

13. propeldragon

propeldragon Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti
    During gaming this is normal? Not at all.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Depends on the game I would assume, if the CPU isn't being utilized or at least reports that it isn't seeing high utilization the power play functionality would clock it down though this can be controlled alternatively via the bios or via the Windows energy settings.

No idea if CPU's can have that problem some GPU's have where they report low usage and clock down and then the game in question sees heavy framerate drops or fluctuations and more stuttering due to the GPU incorrectly clocking down to low or even idle speeds.
    (Core parking has been a bit of a performance tweak though I don't think it's related strictly to this.)

15. propeldragon

propeldragon Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti
    This was with witcher 3. I know the 3820 is getting pretty old now. From my knowledge a cpu would only downclock during gaming is because of temps. My temps stay in low 60s with 4.3ghz.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    How do you know it was not happening before? AB didn't have CPU clock OSD in previous versions.

17. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Any fix for GPU usage staying stuck at 16%?

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As others said already, depends on a game. If a game isn't very CPU intensive and you're mostly GPU limited then such clock changes are absolutely normal.

19. djmorgan

djmorgan Guest

GPU:
    1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
    AB Beta 12 RTSS Beta 26

Changing the name of a monitoring item such as PageFile to Commit changes the graph name but not the name of the graph in the new OSD

20. KeenJammin

KeenJammin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    First of all just want to say I love MSI Afterburner. I have been using it for ages now and have never had an issue.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything exactly related to what I want so here goes...

The maximum framerate you can record videos at is currently 120 fps. Is there any way you can raise this? Benchmarking my 1080Ti shows it could encode at around 270 fps. That and 144hz-240hz monitors are becoming more and more common. Very few other programs offer this either.

Thanks Unwinder!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.