No more mobile GPU overclocking - has Nvidia gone insane?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iaTa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
    [​IMG]

Source

ManuelG, this is the most ridiculous decision to ever come out of Nvidia HQ.

You have completely alienated your enthusiast notebook users who quite often have to pay two or three times as much for a top tier GPU compared their desktop counterparts.

There are many notebooks which have been specifically designed with overclocking the CPU and GPU in mind. Some OEMs even make a point of this potential overclocking and even provide tools to do it (e.g. MSI/ASUS).

Many people, myself included, who have already purchased and built systems are really not happy about this decision (link).

Also I assume you will be doing the same with the desktop drivers soon too? Overclocking is definitely not a trivial matter for them either. Better be safe than sorry, eh?

Absolute madness.

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-...geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    nGreedia disabled overclocking because people will need sooner to upgrade or buy a new notebook, pure marketing move.
    First GTX 970 BS, now this?

Nice, nGreedia you keep going that way and you'll see what happen.
    Honestly, nGreedia is starting to pissing me off.
    Remember, the stick has two ends.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    Starting to feel like NVIDIA is trying to do just about anything they can to get more controversy started, pretty laughable.

But in all seriousness, they should just have some type of warning/popup that you have to agree to, like with voltage.

4. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    This must be the user choice,to overclock or not, not nVidia.

5. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    yeah just read that too, and i'm really angry right now at nVidia, i mean wtf they supported it like decades? Locked voltage and +135Mhz limit was perfectly reasonable for me. Just upgraded my 780M to a 980M in my P150SM which ran @ 1250/3500, stayed super cool and i was finally able to play everything like i want to and than this. I mean srsly.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Laptops have enough problems let alone heat to handle overclocking.

7. tiliarou

tiliarou Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980M
    Completely wrong : a lot of gaming laptop have proper cooling system to enable OC, not to mention the fact that you can repast your ventirad and cooling system.

But that is not the problem : if I want to OC MY hardware, I WILL OC my hardware, that's not Nvidia's decision to make !!!! If I screw over that's my responsibility and I will deal with the consequences, not Nvidia.

My hardware MY F***ing CHOICE !

8. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    that's unacceptable indeed. I can understand voltage lock, throttling etc. but come on, no support for overclocking? They may make users understand the risks, accept the agreement, then let everyone do whatever they want with their laptops.

9. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    That explains why I can't even hit 70c with a +135 OC right? Wrong. Don't post nonsense.

10. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    This is the price we pay for smarter hardware.Dynamic this and that is all well and good but cutting out overclocking completely? I understand there has to be a trade off but ffs!! Only a matter of time before it reaches desktop cards too.Might as well go buy a console at that point or maybe we might be able to mod those by then, lol! I'll be like this guy, lmao...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOEe1uzurKo

11. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
  12. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  13. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
    How many people won't buy Nvidia based notebooks because of your example?

Answer, not many.

How many people won't buy Nvidia based notebooks because of this block on overclocking?

Answer, a lot.

Don't be so quick to judge.

14. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This is bad comparison, but cool. :)
    Faster we will see some users workarounds for this problem than nvidia will change they mind.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  15. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    newer driver also prohibit lcd that have pc mode to be recon as hdmi - pc IPS 4:4:4 chroma enabled 4k on 3 latest whql driver only viewed as hdtv.

while @ pc before the driver mode gives better image quality
    is it sloppyness or other more sinister/sinful motives...

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I seriously doubt that.

17. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Honestly? Not really.
    How many notebook users actually overclock their machine? 1%?
    What nvidia did is absurd, yes, but they are not going to change their mind.
    We just got an official statement but this lock was made months ago.
    I'd say, deal with it and use the tools available to unlock it again.
    They are probably only doing this so people wont say "If the overclockability was enabled by default, nvidia supports it". We all know those that really care about overclocking will find a way in the end. They just dont want the average user to find the option and burn their machine to ask for a refund in the end.

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I see that you don't have any experience or knowledge about how the market works, most people that own such a notebook won't even read this.

OT: I don't care, there are probably going to be some modded drivers that will allow it :D

19. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Yeah i hope, still sitting on 344.75 due to that, or we have to actually flash modded vbioses again to bake in stable clocks

20. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Sounds like the way to go... Until we know more I'd say it's only locked at driver level, which isn't that disastrous.