Google Chrome is to blame for a massive increase in online ad blocking

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Extraordinary, Sep 9, 2014.

1. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I dislike ads when browsing.

I dislike receiving junk mail of any kind, the physical kind.

I dislike ads when watching TV.

I dislike when I'm listening to the radio in my car and every station I like is running an ad at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They do that same sh1t here on the TV, flicking between channels when adverts come on, every channel runs them at the same time, even more annoying when it's an advert you really hate, and the channel you quickly change to in order to escape it being stuck in your head all day, is playing the exact same advert at the exact same time

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Yup, a WTF moment cause you wonder did I change the channel. :)

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not sure if it's available for FF yet. I've only checked for Chrome and IE. An IE compatible version is coming but not yet available. It's pretty seamless in Chrome though. I got rid of AdBlock because it has pop ups of it's own which are just as, if not more, intrusive than the ads it's blocking. I also use Disconnect Mobile on my N5 because it's supposed to block apps from tracking your phone. The more security, the better.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's right here :) I need it primarily for my iOS devices though.

Did you have allow some advertising enabled on ABP? I haven't seen any pop ups or ads for a long time on my Firefox install.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No popups with Adblock Plus addon for FF here either, I know there are a couple of Adblock Plus wannbe addons, but the genuine one Adblock Plus kills ads dead with no side effects

You do have to disable non intrusive ads from the settings, but other than that, perfect

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Every time I visited a site, there was a pop up from AdBlock announcing how many ads were blocked with an occasional offer for something stupid after it blocked so many ads. Maybe it's just a problem with ABP for Chrome.

I don't use FF. Got tired of it crashing constantly with hardware acceleration enabled. I use Chrome and IE instead.