Voltage Control on MSI Lightning in CF setup with ULPS

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by THEAST, Jul 15, 2016.

1. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I have a CF setup with a Gigabyte HD 7950 and an MSI Lightning 7970, the Gigabyte 7950 being the master card. I am also using Crimson driver v16.2.2 and Afterburner v4.2.0. I have ULPS enabled, which means the MSI card turns off when it is not used. I have also set "Unlock voltage control" to "Extended MSI" in Afterburner's settings.

If when Afterburner loads, the MSI card is in ULPS sleep (like when the OS starts), Afterburner does not detect the card's Core Voltage or allow me to change it, even though it detects and can change the rest of the settings (clocks, power limit, etc.) on that card without issues. In this case, even if I force the MSI card to wake up using some application, while Afterburner is open, it will still fail to read the Core Voltage. But, if I close Afterburner, force the MSI card out of ULPS sleep, and then reopen Afterburner, it reads the Core Voltage correctly and allows me to change it without any issues, even if I then close the application and let the MSI card go back to ULPS sleep while Afterburner is still open. Is this expected behavior?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Access to GPU is seriously limited while it is in ULPS state so it is expected behavior. Disable ULPS if you need any features limited by it (which may include secondary GPU voltage control, monitoring and fan control depending on GPU architecture).

3. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Okay, thank you.