Samsung 850 evo freezing and lock out

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by clueless noob, Jun 13, 2015.

1. clueless noob

clueless noob Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9270 2gb
    Here is the sitch:
    I recently purchased a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb on special.

Here is the problem I am using it in IDE mode and on a old motherboard

Gigabyte ep43-ud3l rev 1.1 latest bios.

It is only sata2 3.0 gb/s, I installed fresh windows on it Win7 64 bit Home premium.
    Worked well but was not much faster than my samsung spinpoint 320gb ( I guess due to the Sata speed)
    Then it started freezing and locking up in games, mostly Dota 2 to the point where I have to restart.

Then 2 days ago it did that and I restarted it to find I cannot log back in, so I have put my old hdd back in and disconnected the SSD.
    I did have a few power saving options enabled that I can remember.

What I need to know is, can the SSD be damaged?
    Should I leave it disconnected til I get a new sata3 6g/s board then use it in AHCI mode?

I am very worried I have damaged it, it is under warrenty

Should I A) Send it back in or B)Leave it alone til my new parts come a few months from now.:bang:

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'll bump you just in case someone can help you.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Page 50 of the manual shows there is an AHCI option. The possibility of damage always exists. Windows 7 required a few steps to setup efficient use of an ssd. Even a traditional SATA HDD would benefit from this setting being enabled.

4. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    Can you boot into any Live Tool like PartedMagic or use another PC to retrieve the SMART values of the drive? If so, please post them here.

5. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    If you conect the drive to non intel port plz connect to intel port i had same

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    seems to be happening when I have less than 25gb free on it, doing some cache rewriting or whatever from time to time it goes to 100% use for a few seconds and most apps are unresponsive until it ends, also with SATA2 here but in my case going from hdd to this was like onboard graphics to titan lol, only that problem from time to time, it stopped happening for a few weeks but now that i'm downloading things on it the problem seems to be back, very annoying

evo 850 120gb with sata 2 and AHCI mode here

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The 850 evo 500 am using on a sata2 board will sometimes slow to a crawl right at boot up. If I let it do its thing, after about five minutes it is back like new.

8. BadDriver

BadDriver Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G
    I have the same thing with my 850 evo when the pc start i cant run programms Like games or origin/Samsung magician it takes about 5 min for those programms to start.

Is not with every pc start. what works is browsing the internet.

What is the SSD doing in those 5 min???

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    Can you please do a bench with "AS SSD Benchmark". Post a screenshot of the result.
    Check out "Crystal Disk Info". Expand the window, so it shows full raw data. Please post a screenshot of that, too. Then I may be able to help you =)

Crystal Disk Info

http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfo
    (http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html)

AS SSD
    http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&file_id=9
    (http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9)

10. BadDriver

BadDriver Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G
    I have the following problem with AS SSD when i start the program i see that gray disk and noting happens, i think its because i am on windows 10.

I set it compatible with windows 8 and as run admin but still the same problem.

11. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Nope. Works fine on Win10.

12. BadDriver

BadDriver Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  13. clueless noob

clueless noob Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9270 2gb
    Please close this thread as it turns out it was my old mother board causing the issues.
    I upgraded to a Asus ROG z97 VII Ranger and all is solid

14. BadDriver

BadDriver Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G
    That programs and games start after 5 min can also come from Nvidia GFE.

I have a problem with GFE it slows down my internet connection.

When i play BF4 it will crash after 20 min with your connection to the server timed out.

This is caused by GFE. Uninstall is problems solved.

Programms/games that need the internet connection slow down when GFE is installed.
    That is why BF4 crashes and browsing the internet some sites dont show in the browser.

I tested this many times install GFE is slow internet connection, uninstall is fast intenet connection. Does GFE needs so much bandwidth???

I will test if the 5 min delay startup that programs/games have also is there if GFE is uninstalled.

And will report later if i still have this 5 min delay problem.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm still experiencing this freezing, random 100% disk usage, I gave that evo 850 to my mom's laptop and it is doing exactly the same, freezing the entire OS and sometimes only a forced restart can fix it, at this point I can only think of throwing that thing on a trash can, cant get RMA where i live and I wouldn't bother either, just wont ever buy a samsung disk again(yea poor me Samsung will be inside some other tech I buy anyway)

what amazes me is how they demand such a premium price over competing brands, while I had 0 issues with anything from sandisk, crucial or pny at LOWER prices and about same performance

16. Come on, now.. You can't condemn a manufacturer over one problem. It's a HDD, it happens, to any/all brands.

Back in 2009 or so I bought a WD Black and it was DOA when it arrived. RMA and I still to this day have that RMA which works fine.

As for the 850 EVO, the one I have works great. ..Even on SATA2. Performance is as to be expected but still way better than a mechanical drive. 90% of the time, it'll burst on initial copy, around 1GBs for about 15-20 seconds. Most things are copied by that time, unless it's a large file.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also, you're paying a premium price for performance on SATA3. Of course performance is nearly the same across the board on SATA2, because all of those drives can exceed that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    When my 850 EVO locked down, the suggestion of using PartedMagic to solve the issue did just that. Wiped the SSD with PartedMagic and all has been perfect ever since. Then again, when I reinstalled Magician, stayed with release 4.5 that came with the drive since it still states it is the most recent version.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Never had any problems with my 850 Evo. One of the best SSD's i've ever had.

Im even still using older firmware.